Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Triple Tempo Trainer Pyramid

Mon Nov 26 2500 LCM at Fort Lauderdale Hall of Fame Pool

Today I took a break from the backstroke-centric practices in my Month of Backstroke Improvement. I met TI swimmer Bernice Ruo (who attended our All Strokes Workshop in Coral Springs this weekend) at the Hall of Fame pool before she caught her flight back to Chicago. At my suggestion the main feature of our practice was 3 rounds of Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid. Each round was 10 x 50.
Round 1: We took tempo from 1.3 to 1.6 in .1 increments then back to 1.3 in .05 increments.
Round 2: Tempo went from 1.25 to 1.55 in .1 increments then back to 1.25 in .05 increments.
Round 3: Tempo from 1.20 to 1.50 in .1 increments then back to 1.20 in .05 increments.
Between rounds we swam 200 (Bernice) to 300 (me) continuous to test if we could maintain the SPL at which we finished the pyramid without using the TT.

All in all a great practice. Bernice had not done the pyramid before. She improved from 43 SPL to 35 SPL while slowing tempo in 1st round! Then finished at 40 SPL -- a 'voodoo' improvement in efficiency of 3 strokes.
My SPL went from 36 to 29 as tempo slowed 1.3 to 1.6 and held at 33 when I returned to 1.3.
In subsequent rounds I was able to improve SPL by only one stroke, but that's not surprising since I'd already optimized my form quite a bit in the first round.

This was my first Long Course practice since July and perhaps only 10th of the year. As well I began fall pool practices only in the last two weeks. So my metrics in this practice were enormously encouraging
SPL range was 29 to 36. Tempo range was 1.2 to 1.6.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-27-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Terry, this is an excellent pyramid practice, and will have give it a try. A big congrats to Bernice for dropping 8 strokes, and holding 3 strokes less at the faster tempo! And you dropping to 29 SPL in LCM - awesome! That's like Sun Yang stroke count - right?!? I will give the three rounds of 10x50 Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid a try at Rosebowl Aquatics Wed morning, and see what kind of results I end up with.
Old 11-29-2012
Head Coach

Default Can You Swim like Sun Yang?

Stuart
I hadn't thought of it, but you're right. Just by pushing the right button on my TT, I can 'swim like Sun Yang.' Admittedly I had to slow my tempo to 1.6 to get into his SPL range, and I could only do it for 50m -- I know better than to believe that if I'd flipped and swum back I would again make it in 29SPL. But even so it's a thrilling accomplishment at 61 years old and 182 cm tall to be able to do what the world's best distance swimmer does at 20 yrs (he'll be 21 on Saturday) and 198cm.
If I had more LCM practice time I'd work at whittling down the difference between my tempo 1.60 and his, which is between .8 and .9.
Gives me an idea for a TI virtual contest: At what tempo can you match Sun Yang?

My TI Story
Old 11-29-2012
Head Coach

Default My Backstroke Month of Excellence/Improvement

Just short of two weeks ago, I started on a Month of Excellence in Backstroke. The Triple Tempo Trainer Pyramid I report above was the first in this period in which I focused solely on freestyle.
But exciting things are also happening in backstroke, which demonstrates the truth of the maxim: That which gets measured gets improved.
I did a baseline set 13 days ago on Nov 16. In that set my final swim was a 200y backstroke which I swam in 3:30. Yesterday, in only my 5th pool practice which focused on backstroke since then I'd improved that baseline to 3:13.
You can read how I did it at this thread.

My TI Story
Old 11-29-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Stuart
I hadn't thought of it, but you're right. Just by pushing the right button on my TT, I can 'swim like Sun Yang.' Admittedly I had to slow my tempo to 1.6 to get into his SPL range, and I could only do it for 50m -- I know better than to believe that if I'd flipped and swum back I would again make it in 29SPL. But even so it's a thrilling accomplishment at 61 years old and 182 cm tall to be able to do what the world's best distance swimmer does at 20 yrs (he'll be 21 on Saturday) and 198cm.
If I had more LCM practice time I'd work at whittling down the difference between my tempo 1.60 and his, which is between .8 and .9.
Gives me an idea for a TI virtual contest: At what tempo can you match Sun Yang?
Its a great idea but I count 26SPL+ the funny one he takes on turns on his lengths when I watch him, let's say 27 for arguments sake.

The first half is much easier though he normally crosses the middle of the 25m marker on exactly 12, so your virtual contest could be what tempo can you hold SPL12 for SCM or SPL11 for SCY?
Old 11-29-2012
Head Coach

27 SPL for 50m is probably a bridge too far for me. Since Sun Yang does get up to 29 at some point in the event I'll satisfy myself with that.
My first breath after crossing 25m was at 13SPL on that length.

My TI Story
Old 12-02-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Calling Mat Hudson...
We need to normalize for height and skill level.

At Sun Yang's World Record 1500m,
#1 what is his %age of wingspan conversion?
#2 What is his rate?

TI virtual contest then becomes
#1 Can you achieve Sun Yang's %age of wingspan conversion?
#2 What's the fastest rate at which you can hold this?

This then becomes your PERSONAL 'world record 1500m equivalent time', that we can each focus on improving. :)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-02-2012

andyinnorway

I did 1.5 @ 12SPL on my first attempt for a 21s 25m at the end of my last session.

I would guess that my limit would be 1.38-1.42
Old 12-03-2012
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post

This then becomes your PERSONAL 'world record 1500m equivalent time', that we can each focus on improving. :)
Excellent contest suggestion. I could really get into that.

My TI Story
Old 12-04-2012

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Calling Mat Hudson...
We need to normalize for height and skill level.

At Sun Yang's World Record 1500m,
#1 what is his %age of wingspan conversion?
#2 What is his rate?

Hi Suzanne
Would you be willing to illustrate for the forum how to make the above calculations. I have given my personal age, wingspan and 1500 time as well as Sun Yangs, below.

Grant
Wingspan. 175cm/1.75m
Age. 77
77/1.75= 44.0. %Age/Wingspan in meters
1500 m time. 30:30.0

Sun yang.
Wingspan 2.11 meters
Age 21
21/2.11 = 9.950. %Age/Wingspan in meters
1500 m time 14:49.31

Where to go from here? :0)
Thanks