Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012

andyinnorway
Default Sprint Training-a little game set.

As we reach the end of May I have 2 times left to beat from last year, my 800m and my 100m. I feel I am there with the 800 if I just swam one but the 100m is more of a challenge.

I would like to reduce my time from 1.22 to 1.20 and am trying to think of effective ways to do that.

I feel my most efficient way to swim a 1.20 is SR1.0 and SPL 16.

Today I played with a (game) set that I think will help me get there over the next 6 weeks.

I should preface this with saying I can swim 25m and SPL 16 at 1 stroke a second ok, its just holding it for 4 lengths that is out of my reach (by about 3s).

so the game.

1. 4x25 holding target SPL and SR with rest interval equal to swim time
2. 4x25 holding target SPL and SR with rest interval as above- 2 strokes

rest length of 100m swim time at end of each 4x25 completed if required.

continue reducing rest interval by 2 strokes every 4x25 until you lose 3 lives (i.e. 3 lengths over SPL target).

Rest 5 minutes then attempt 100m time challenge.

I did a short trial of this today and managed to complete 4x25 with 10 strokes rest (i.e. halfway) before the pool session finished but this was without any rest at the end of each 4x25 so a good start. I will try it properly on Monday.
Old 05-20-2012

azamy

This is useful information for those who train for sprints. I am also getting prepared for the national competitions which will be held in Kabul in a month time. I can use some of those tips to improve my speed.
Old 05-22-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
As we reach the end of May I have 2 times left to beat from last year, my 800m and my 100m. I feel I am there with the 800 if I just swam one but the 100m is more of a challenge.

I would like to reduce my time from 1.22 to 1.20 and am trying to think of effective ways to do that.

I feel my most efficient way to swim a 1.20 is SR1.0 and SPL 16.

Today I played with a (game) set that I think will help me get there over the next 6 weeks.

I should preface this with saying I can swim 25m and SPL 16 at 1 stroke a second ok, its just holding it for 4 lengths that is out of my reach (by about 3s).

so the game.

1. 4x25 holding target SPL and SR with rest interval equal to swim time
2. 4x25 holding target SPL and SR with rest interval as above- 2 strokes

rest length of 100m swim time at end of each 4x25 completed if required.

continue reducing rest interval by 2 strokes every 4x25 until you lose 3 lives (i.e. 3 lengths over SPL target).

Rest 5 minutes then attempt 100m time challenge.

I did a short trial of this today and managed to complete 4x25 with 10 strokes rest (i.e. halfway) before the pool session finished but this was without any rest at the end of each 4x25 so a good start. I will try it properly on Monday.

ANdy, I'd wanted to post regarding this earlier....

I like the way you've turned this into a "game" (losing 3 lives...funny).

ANother way to think about the rest interval is in the context of the Tabata type workouts. Tabata published a study in which athletes performed 20 seconds of "ON" activity (about 170% Vo2 max intensity??) and 10 seconds recovery (still moving by less intensity). These were repeated 6-8 times for a single session. The session was repeated 4-5 times per week for several weeks.

I'm just sharing this as the study protocol (paraphased of course), but the 20 seconds on and 10 seconds rest has become the "Kleenex" of Tabata sets. In otherwords, to do a Tabata anything 20 seconds on and 10 seconds rest.

Since your game first involves a much longer rest progressing downward, you might simply try starting with the 10 seconds rest and only do as many sets as you can complete in yoru goal time. The first time it may only be 2 or 3. Each time you try it you can add reps until you get to 6-8 in a single set.

I enjoy finishing my sets this way as a little deviation. The last time I tried it I started by simply swimmign AS HARD AS I POSSIBLY COULD...just to see what resulted...25 strokes, 20 seconds! I rested 10 seconds, and swam again, simply as fast as I could while keeping a quiet entry...20 strokes, 20 seconds. Nice.

So then proceeded to do several with a goal of 20 strokes in 20 seconds. I made it to 4 rounds last time.

Anyway, this could benefit you because the study showed that the protocol improved BOTH anaerobic and aerobic fitness in the people who followed it. Your target race is mostly anaerobic, and therefore this could be a good approach.

There is probably a way to make this game even more defined, but I like your version...and I'd challenge you to try my version when you get the opportunity. (ie allow only 10 seconds rest and do as many as you can while holding target pace) The next day repeat adn see if you can add repetitions.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle