Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009

mjm
Default What has the greatest impact on Freestyle Speed?

What do you think? After reading a thread in this section, a few believe the greatest impact is physique. My choices, in order of importance, are as follows:

1. technique
2. technique
3. technique
4. conditioning
5. strength
6. flexibility
1,000. Physique

My opinion only. But one would think, that after years of 10k or more of daily swimming, someone like Michael Phelps (or any other world class swimmer)and his coach would know everything there is to know about technique--yet they continue to focus and work on it daily. And yes, I'm sure he does work on the other elements as well.

I believe the same applies to other sports--tennis, golf, skiing, etc. The best in the world focus and work on technique on a daily basis. Call me a technique freak.
--mjm
Old 02-20-2009

AWP

"Call me a technique freak."

OK, and you are 'freakin' right too.
Old 02-20-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

1. technique
2. technique
3. technique
4. conditioning
5. strength
6. flexibility
[/quote]

Out of those, I think flexibility should be higher in the list. At least be above strength. With good flexibility you can be more slippery, apply better technique, and get more propulsion from your feet. Technique has to be #1 though.
Old 02-20-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

The greatest impact on freestyle speed or any stroke speed....

The swimmer.
Old 02-20-2009

vol

I think there is little dispute technique is the answer. I would like to have this question addressed in a more concrete way. For example, is that the arm's pull, or the leg's kick, or the rotation of the body, which speeds up the most? (Of course it's all together combined that produces the greatest speed, but any one of these playing greater role than the rest?) I think one important thing is the timing of the kick in accordance with the pull, as you can see in the videos that the fast glide happens just then.
Old 02-20-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol View Post
I think there is little dispute technique is the answer. I would like to have this question addressed in a more concrete way. For example, is that the arm's pull, or the leg's kick, or the rotation of the body, which speeds up the most? (Of course it's all together combined that produces the greatest speed, but any one of these playing greater role than the rest?) I think one important thing is the timing of the kick in accordance with the pull, as you can see in the videos that the fast glide happens just then.
I like the answer, "The swimmer." hehe However, to be more specific, I would vote for the core; how it's power is applied, how flexible it is, how strong it is, how much endurance it has, etc..

Admittedly, that doesn't answer the question specifically for the crawl stroke. Maybe the pull is the most important for acceleration.

We really should be studying Paralympic performances. The one thing all swimmers have in common is the core, though some might not have full use of it. If you find a swimmer with a totally fused spine and no muscle tone in the core, that would be amazing.

http://player26.narrowstep.tv/assets...tml/index.html Click on "Summer Sports" at the bottom of the page, then "Swimming" just above it.

Last edited by shuumai : 02-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2009

woody-som

technique for me, finding the perfect catch and streamline has to come way infront of strength. Mr phelps was reported to have one of the weakest bodies regarding muscles, but see how many golds he won. Flexability is also key, along with core strength. But one that is missing and we have no control over is the water temperature, you always swim faster and easier in a cool pool.
Old 02-20-2009

pmuni

I agree with the statement that technique is king when it comes to speed. However, from my personal experience, proper technique can only be sustained while racing if you have proper physical conditioning. No matter how good your technique is, it is bound to fall apart past the 50 meter mark in a full-out race unless you have the right aerobic condition.

As far as flexibility goes, my opinion is that it is virtually impossible to have great technique unless you are flexible. Therefore, rather than a factor to be included in this list, I would consider it a "must have".

Having said that, my list would be:

1. Technique (with good shoulder, core and ankle rotation)
2. Conditioning
3. Strength (more so in short races)
4. Advanced technique
Old 02-21-2009

daveblt

1) the way you streamline your body to avoid drag
2) how you balance your body in the water
3) swim with long strokes
4) How the swimmer applies forces with the proper kinetic chain of events

Dave
Old 02-21-2009

AWP

Bravo David,

If we're to segment technique, however, I'd put balance #1.
A case in point, there is a gent that swims at the local Y, a life long swimmer, strong and fit but with sort of 'lousy' technique (not all aspects). He is reasonably 'fast' but more important it seems he can sustain this for long periods. How? His balance is very good. His body position in the water is perfectly horizontal lying just below the surface. He does, in my opinion, work too hard for what he gets but that is where technique comes in.