Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011

eganov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM77 View Post
2) Contacts under goggles. ... However, opticians do not recommend the use of contacts when swimming. The person who said they've been doing it for years without problems is forgetting one important thing - this damage isn't certain, it just makes it more likely. That's like saying "smoking's safe, my granny's 70 and she's been doing it all her life". It's all about probabilities. That said, I've been told that if you wear dailies and dispose them straight after swimming the risks are minimal.
I'm the one who has been wearing contacts with goggles for years and there is no reason not to. The optician warnings against contacts and swimming are sound but they apply to swimming w/o goggles because dirty microbes can attach themselves to the contacts. A good fitting pair of goggles protects your eyes from dirty microbes in the water, probably better than many non-swimming activities w/o goggles. It is assumed that one is following the normal lens handling, wearing and cleaning recommendations.

As far as equating this to smoking and pitching them after every swim - a gross overreaction.
Old 05-12-2011

RobM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganov View Post
I'm the one who has been wearing contacts with goggles for years and there is no reason not to. The optician warnings against contacts and swimming are sound but they apply to swimming w/o goggles because dirty microbes can attach themselves to the contacts. A good fitting pair of goggles protects your eyes from dirty microbes in the water, probably better than many non-swimming activities w/o goggles. It is assumed that one is following the normal lens handling, wearing and cleaning recommendations.

As far as equating this to smoking and pitching them after every swim - a gross overreaction.
Sorry, you've mis-understood. I wasn't comparing the risks with smoking at all. I was merely pointing out the flawed logic in using a sample of one to draw a conclusion on something purely probablistic in cause and effect, by using a commonly over-heard statement that makes the same mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganov View Post
I don't see why not (no pun intended). I've worn soft contacts and goggles for years with no problems.
That doesn't mean it's safe, it just means that you're one of the percentage of people who've done this without problems (as am I actually!). It's not a good idea though; it increases the risk of infection.