Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
Thanks for everybodys input.

I bought a Garmin last week, and so far I am impressed with it, well except today when it reported backstroke when I was doing freestyle!
I have tried all the watches and found the Garmin Swim to be the best. It does think my Fly is Breast though and I don't think the stroke count is useful. Lap counting is mostly fine although sometimes it does lose one. (I do think the FINIS Swimsense senses stroke type more correctly though, although the quality for that watch is lacking - have broken one or two already).

I unfortunately have not found a watch that really caters to TI use though. I always keep a waterproof pad and pen poolside to write things down, and train my brain to be counting while doing focal points....
Old 04-26-2014

LBRoberts

Thanks. Do you upload to Garmin Connect? Can you edit it where it gets the laps wrong?
Old 04-26-2014

baz_w

Basic Swimovate does it for me. Does what it says on the can. Had it over a year now - no issues.
Old 04-26-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBRoberts View Post
Thanks. Do you upload to Garmin Connect? Can you edit it where it gets the laps wrong?
I do upload to Garmin Connect but don't think you can edit anything..
Old 04-27-2014

WFEGb

Hello,

Mathias Krallmann sells a little program "Fit File Repair Tool" which enables you to repair and edit some values in Garmin's files. (Think its a shame that this is not given as gift from Garmin. Same in the latest Swimovate prog. It has been possible in the older versions but now without possible editing...)

Best regards,
Werner

PS: http://fitfilerepairtool.info/
Old 05-13-2014

danm

I have the garmin and I am quite happy with it. Battery lasts 2 years or so, you don't need to worry about charging it. Stroke count is accurate, I am not sure why some of the other commenters say it is not - you just have to multiply by 2 obviously, as it counts only the moves of the hand wearing the watch. If you lose 1 stroke, let that be your biggest issue in swimming and you'll be just fine! Laps counting is also quite accurate; I only get false counts if I stop in the middle of the lap, but then this is how it's supposed to work: when you stop, it counts one lap.

The interface with PC is seamless, after the initial setup you just make sure the watch is near the computer and swim data will upload automatically, you don't need to do anything.

The only thing lacking is garmin's analysis software which is very weak, particularly in displaying trends over a period of time. It certainly looks like garmin doesn't give a s*** about swimming. But you can download the data in excel and do whatever analysis you like if you are inclined to do so.
I have not used any of the other swim watches but I would recommend the garmin. If I were to add something to this watch I would add TT time/beeping capabilities somehow. I would love to have that kind of capability without having to wear just another device. Actually this is why I put off buying a TT - if another watch that is as good as garmin has tempo capability I will buy that and sell the garmin.