Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013

jgrant9411
Default How do I increase my endurance

I've been swimming about 3 days a week for the last 6 months on my TI drills and I've been swimming whole stroke off and on for the last month. However, I'm having a hard time increasing my endurance. I'm a marathon runner so I think my aerobic abilities are good, but after 50 meters in the pool I'm huffing and puffing and need a 15-20 second break before my next segment. Am I better to keep swimming the 50m and work on decreasing my break time, or try to lengthen my lengths. I do find that when I'm doing 100m segemts my stroke counts starts to go up. Also, if Coach Suzand happens to read this, I've been told that aerobic abilities in running to not translate to aerobic abilities in the pool. Is this true, and how do I increase my aerobic abilities in the pool.
I should mention, that I'm a slow swimmer, about 2:20per 100m. I really dont care too much about my time, (for now anyway) but I'd love to be able to swim a sprint triathlon next summer so I have to get up to 750m.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Jamie
Old 12-24-2013

helixfairweather

Jamie, I had a similar question recently (see thread about How to do that first 50). One of the older and wiser forum members asked me about my breathing. Because I was enjoying perfecting my stroke so much I was breathing on every fourth stroke. That puts one into too much CO2.

The suggestion was to breathe every second stroke. I tried every fourth, every third and every 2nd - he was right! Breathing every second really made the difference! Balance of air coming in and going out.

Also what was suggested was to baby step my way there. Since you are doing a 50m, baby stepping for you might be something like this - start 10 m from the wall, head to the wall, turn do your 50 and end.

Then start from the middle of the pool, go to the wall, turn, do your fifty.

Or do your 50, turn and stroke for 15 more meters.

In other words, add that next length in small doses. The word from the experts was that it's not really about endurance, it's about breathing.

I also just received the TI DVD on making turns - that will help me a lot, to know how to turn correctly.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 12-24-2013

andyinnorway

Jamie,

If you are already a marathon runner then it's quite likely a swim specific breathing challenge you are facing.

There are a few options you could try.

1. Swim a survival 400m or 750m, pretend you've fallen off a party boat that's sailed away and its 750m to shore. you don't need any form you can do what you want with your body and head, just keep moving until you reach the beach (chosen distance). You only need to do this once as it removes the mental block of the possibility of swimming a certain distance.

2. relax the stroke and slow down, if 2.20 is your current pace can you go longer at 2.40, one of the curious ways to relax the stroke is to do some repeat 25's breathing every 4 or 6 strokes as if you don't relax you can't make the 6 strokes in one breath

3. try different ways of breathing and see what works for you (breathing out forceully, letting it escape like a puncture, nose, mouth etc) also be aware of how much is coming in and compare that to a hard running session.

It all comes with time spent in the pool but for many of us breathing naturally in the water can take a year or more, but a 750m sprint tri next summer should be well within reach.

and try Helix's 5 more metres approach.

happy laps.
Old 12-24-2013

WFEGb

Hello Jamie,

you've still gotten the most magic tipps from Helix and Andy. Just 2ct more: Every time in pool take some laps and only focus on relaxation. Andy once had the additional tip: Think of your breast and upper arms as if they are a bellows and use it in most possible relaxed way...

You don't have an endurance problem it's just relaxation (based on streamline and balance...)

Best regards,
Werner

PS: My mantra should not be missing: Have a look in Terry's O2inH2O DVD and in that forum is a long thread "Getting out of breath" which might be helpfull...
Old 12-24-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrant9411 View Post
I've been swimming about 3 days a week for the last 6 months on my TI drills and I've been swimming whole stroke off and on for the last month. However, I'm having a hard time increasing my endurance. I'm a marathon runner so I think my aerobic abilities are good, but after 50 meters in the pool I'm huffing and puffing and need a 15-20 second break before my next segment. Am I better to keep swimming the 50m and work on decreasing my break time, or try to lengthen my lengths. I do find that when I'm doing 100m segemts my stroke counts starts to go up. Also, if Coach Suzand happens to read this, I've been told that aerobic abilities in running to not translate to aerobic abilities in the pool. Is this true, and how do I increase my aerobic abilities in the pool.
I should mention, that I'm a slow swimmer, about 2:20per 100m. I really dont care too much about my time, (for now anyway) but I'd love to be able to swim a sprint triathlon next summer so I have to get up to 750m.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Jamie
if you are a decent marathoner, then you have a lot of great fitness to employ in the pool, or in any other activity. there are a lot of cross training effects where one activity can support others.

but just because you can perform in one movement pattern or activity does not mean it translates to another. there are different muscles involved, and there is a large neurological component where if a movement is not familiar to you, then it will require more effort until you adapt.

that is why if you test for your heart rate at lactate threshold in different activities, you'll find that they will be different. for example, cycling's HR at LT is typically about 8-10 beats lower than for your running HR at LT.

as for swimming, there is a large skill component - most people approach swimming as an effort/strength based activity, whereas we have found that it is more like golf or tennis where you need to get good at the basics first, and then you can add on top of that - even running and cycling are more technical than you think. simply swimming more will not get you to where you want to go. you must swim smart, with an aim towards continual improvement of your swimming technique and you will find that your ability to swim longer distances will naturally happen.

if you feel up to it, please post a video. it is possible that your technique needs work, which will deter you from swimming longer. but swimming longer with poor technique will most likely add to frustration and potentially injury.
Old 12-28-2013

sinker

Jamie
When feeling my endurance lagging, I revisit advice I read quite a while ago. I sometimes have a tendency during recovery to tense up my arm and shoulder muscles. This alone can add quite a bit of fatigue.
The advice was "Recovery is the time to rest and relax the arm and shoulder muscles."
The only time it is necessary to apply any significant muscle is when the catch is formed and you are holding your grip on the water as your body rotation propels you forward. The rest of the time just let your arm and shoulder relax and enjoy the ride.

Gene