Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013

sinker

Helix
Enjoy your posts and admire your persistence and determination to learn and apply. You look quite relaxed and graceful for this stage of your journey. Keep up the great work and go for it.

Gene
Old 12-11-2013

Danny

Helix, do you happen to know what they keep the water temperature at in your pool? As someone who freezes easily in cold water, I don't usually have problems in indoor pools. In my experience, it is usually easy to find indoor pools that keep the temperature at or above 80 F. That usually is just fine for me.

This summer I was swimming in a pool outside in air temperatures of about 50 C. The pool was warmer, but I still started freezing after about 30-40 minutes, so I tried your strategy of putting on a skin tight synthetic shirt. I immediately had to abandon it for the reasons that Suzanne has noted. It really does impede your arm motion. It's well worth trying to find a way to solve this problem!
Old 12-12-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixfairweather View Post
Thank you, Coach Suzanne!

I'll shuffle the practice set around and do the Swing work earlier w/o shirt. I think the lack of any asb/core muscles is more at play than the shirt though. If I knew how to activate these mysterious muscles, I would. :)

I love the videos of Terry in Swing position. He looks like a large animal ready to pounce - just hovering for the right moment. Would that I could do that . . .

Helix
Helix, you rock! You look awesome in the pool. Wow! Keep up, keep it up!
Old 12-12-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurledge View Post
hi Helix,

if your left arm could be as patient as your right. see the attachment.
That was my comment too, as you rotate on that side imagine something pulling your body through the water from the left hand (like a water ski rope), then you'll feel stretched and long.
Old 12-12-2013

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougalt View Post
The challenge of avoiding wetsuit use is an intriguing one, and worth the pursuit. This is the beginning of my third winter of ocean swimming, without wetsuit, which I prefer greatly over the confinement of the 25-yard indoor "box".

My suggestion is to concentrate on RELAXING your way into the water, and let your body do its temperature adjustment "thing" on its own, without resorting to increased physical exertion as a method of "generating heat".

Concentrate on your "stroke thoughts" completely, and let the temperature issues fade to the background.

Not that the low temperature effects will be negated - eventually enough heat will be drawn out of your body that you need to get out of there!

Water temp this week here in New Jersey is down to the low 40's, and I was able to swim 1/4 mile nicely a few days ago, enjoying working on my stroke the whole way. This is certainly not a 5-mile swim or anything, but for me, it is a good accomplishment.

My coldest swim so far was this past April in Minnesota: 37º water temp. Had to wait a couple of days for the ice cover to melt from the St. Croix river. Only went 150 yards, but... Hey! I didn't see anyone else swimming that day!

BIG FACTOR for me is the use of a Barracuda insulated swim cap. Since I am nearly totally bald, with NO insulating hair layer under a normal swim cap, this has made a night and day difference for me being able to tolerate colder water. Without it, I get "brain freeze" in a minute or two.
Hi Helix, the above is taken from a thread here on cold water swimming. It occurs to me that you may not need to keep your arms covered in order to stay warm. One possibility mentioned above is an insulated swim cap. Another thing to think about is keeping your torso covered but leaving your arms free. Maybe one of these alternative could work for you. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Try dryland planking variations....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFtmkYcZEY
OMG! Well, I sure did locate my core muscles!! I tried the plank position, then lowered to quads down a couple of times - oooh, that was intense. I only dabbled to see if it would a problem for my knees.

Later I intended to give the whole 2.5 minute set a go - HA! my core muscles were very sore just from that 2X dip into quad down.

I'll baby step my way to doing more of this

Thank you, Coach Suzanne!

Helix
Old 12-12-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker View Post
Helix
Enjoy your posts and admire your persistence and determination to learn and apply. You look quite relaxed and graceful for this stage of your journey. Keep up the great work and go for it.

Gene
Thank you, Gene! It's really nice to have the support and encouragement found in this group!

Helix
Old 12-12-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
Helix, you rock! You look awesome in the pool. Wow! Keep up, keep it up!
Thank you, Charles!

Helix
Old 12-12-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hi Helix, the above is taken from a thread here on cold water swimming. It occurs to me that you may not need to keep your arms covered in order to stay warm. One possibility mentioned above is an insulated swim cap. Another thing to think about is keeping your torso covered but leaving your arms free. Maybe one of these alternative could work for you. Good luck!
I have very long hair but I'll do a search on a long hair cap that is insulated.

I feel the cold in my shoulders first. I can try getting a smaller size silk shirt so it's very tight.

I tried doing as Coach Suzanne suggested - moving SwingSkate up to earlier in my practice session and doing it without the shirt. It didn't make any difference - I still fell flat when bringing my arm forward (on the infamous left side).

I was very cold by 45 minutes into the routine despite two times inserting 2X 25y of whole stroke (for more activity).

THe water temp is said to be 83F. It's the flow of air across the water that is so chilling.

Coach Suzanne suggested to me (months ago) a kayaking top but these are not made in plus sizes. I would love to find one of these but could not.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 12-12-2013

Danny

Hi Helix,

I'm pretty confident that you will eventually find a solution to these issues that works for you. If you don't notice any difference in your recovery, whether or not you have your arms covered, then maybe it's not such an important issue for you, at least at this point, so you might as well keep your arms warm.

I too have a shoulder issue -- I separated my right shoulder 20 years ago and the shoulder joint on that side doesn't work like the healthy one on the other side. This may mean that I will never have a classic pure recovery, as taught in TI, but I can still swim long distances in a very relaxed fashion and still have enormous fun swimming. Sometimes it helps to keep these things in perspective.

Good luck!

Danny