Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013

swimust

10 seconds of quality showing the Shinji leg snap in a 12 SPL not slow pace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHOxBSeoFk&t=50s
When the wrist is in water, the first thing he does is cracking the knee. The leg action is to flick, not to "kick".
If you want to kick then please use your hip, why not... :)
Shinji does NOT kick. He flicks (snaps).
In short, the TI classic old workshops teach a different use of the leg. Its as simple as that Richardsk and Janos.

If you don't see a bent knee in the photo below then please visit an optometrist first thing in the morning :)
Photo taken from the video at the top of this reply. You cant create such a sharp angle at the knee by engaging the hip first. There is no time for that during the swim. Maybe not a competitive swim kick, just a Shinji flick. Its not a fluke ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leg_snap.jpg (66.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by swimust : 04-10-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2013

Mike from NS

Thanks Charles for this. You've given me lots to work on which I'm sure will help lots. On the way out the door right now (and late as usual) so I'll digest your suggestions more fully later today. From a quick read through, I think you may be suggesting some vertical kicking - which I do from time to time. I'm anxious to get back and read through your post more carefully. I appreciate your input.
Thanks
Mike
Old 04-10-2013

Janos

Swimunt, thankyou so much for that jpeg. I can now delete video files of Thorpe etc, and clear shelf space by throwing away books by Terry, Hines, Maglischo etc. The answer is in the pic. Toe flicking is the future. :-)

Janos
Old 04-10-2013
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
10 seconds of quality showing the Shinji leg snap in a 12 SPL not slow pace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHHOxBSeoFk&t=50s
When the wrist is in water, the first thing he does is cracking the knee. The leg action is to flick, not to "kick".
In short, the TI classic old workshops teach a different use of the leg. Its as simple as that Richardsk and Janos.

If you don't see a bent knee in the photo below then please visit an optometrist first thing in the morning :)
Photo taken from the video at the top of this reply. You cant create such a sharp angle at the knee by engaging the hip first. There is no time for that during the swim. Maybe not a competitive swim kick, just a Shinji flick. Its not a fluke ;)
Are you saying that Shinji's "toe flick" comes from bending the knee, not from the hip and weight shift?
Old 04-10-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post

It's a wave and you're picking out the mid point. it starts from his hip and is a dynamic motion.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-10-2013
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
It's a wave and you're picking out the mid point. it starts from his hip and is a dynamic motion.
To quote the tootsie roll commerical, "...the world will never know"
Old 04-11-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Swimunt, thankyou so much for that jpeg. I can now delete video files of Thorpe etc, and clear shelf space by throwing away books by Terry, Hines, Maglischo etc. The answer is in the pic. Toe flicking is the future. :-)

Janos
haha... it all depends on what technique you want to swim.
and if Terry called it a "toe flick" and not a "power kick" as you do, then who am I to argue with him? If you are searching for a "power kick" in the Shinji toe flick that's on you, its not my problem. :)

P.S. - the last I checked, TI swim is NOT a competitive swim aka Thorpe. Just a reminder that Thorpe does not swim TI style :)
potatoes, tomatoes...
Old 04-11-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJohnB View Post
Are you saying that Shinji's "toe flick" comes from bending the knee, not from the hip and weight shift?
what does "toe flick" has to do with weight shift? who needs a gentle toe flick if you already have a big weight shift? are you saying that "toe flick" comes from the glide?... ;) (joking)

you are correct. the world will never know... until it learns Japanese! :)
(I am not Japanese. wish I could read the written TI Japan stuff)
Old 04-11-2013

Janos

Tell that to Terry before his next race! You should become a student of TI rather than a Shinji groupie. If you did, you would know Thorpes hip driven freestyle stroke with six beat kick is one of the finest examples of the style. Acknowledged by people much more authoritive than you or I.

Janos
Old 04-11-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Tell that to Terry before his next race! You should become a student of TI rather than a Shinji groupie. If you did, you would know Thorpes hip driven freestyle stroke with six beat kick is one of the finest examples of the style. Acknowledged by people much more authoritive than you or I.

Janos
Ok, just two things in reply:
1) Thorpe is using the legs themselves to get propulsion. That's not what TI swim does.
2) If Terry changed the Shinji kick name from "leg snap" to "toe flick" then there must be a reason for that. A flick doesn't generate power.

I never said that "competitive swimming is wrong". I said its different. If you want to mix between techniques that's up to you. I am not doing that.