Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013

nurledge
Default my new cam

Just received my new kodak playsport Zx5. for the 1st time able to see underwater swimming and could see my kick. It was not the the best time to shoot, at night with insufficient light.

I will shoot during a daylight so that i could get better input.

http://youtu.be/AQS-4uTewzY
Old 03-06-2013

nurledge
Default mar 06 video

finally got a chance to video during day light.

http://youtu.be/6Gxml0hLpYo

Guys, need your advice again on my concerns.

1. during the kick (my left leg), i position my left leg toward outside before doing the flick. I could not figure out why; but, i always thought by left kick is well synchronized with spearing or body roll.

2. my body is arching too much during left hand spearing & right leg kicking; am i over rotating?

3. my elbow almost/never pointing sideway (i.e high elbow catch). how do i fix this.

i have some others problems; they could be the root cause. Pls assist. I appreciate.
Old 03-06-2013

nurledge

btw, I did 3 x 500M yesterday; and I had felt some pain in my left ankle during the flick during the 3rd set.
Old 03-06-2013

jenson1a

Did you have someone film you or did you somehow rig the camera to the pool wall for filming? Its always these little details that bother me, but the camera seems like a good deal

Also, i read on amazon that Kodak was getting out of the camera business. My understanding is that the Z5x battery cannot be removed. When replacement is needed, you have to mail it back to the mnfg. Not sure how that might affect service of the battery if the company is getting out of the business. The reviewer on this Amazon post also gave several positives with this camera, but I was just wondering about the battery replacement.

BTW, to me your video really looks pretty good. As you mentioned, the flailing legs probably hinder your ability to streamline. Its funny, while i am swimming I can tell myself to keep my legs quiet, but when I view any video of me swimming, there they are flapping around where they don't belong. Why can't we feel that while we are swimming?

Sherry
Old 03-07-2013

nurledge

Thanks Sherry,

I used flexible tripod, so-called gorilla tripod, coiled against the iron bar (handler installed pool exit). As for the camera, i got a good deal from e-bay, paid for $35.00 with new condition. Yes, the battery is internal and not replaceable. Based on my usage right now, I ve never come to the point running out of its power. If you plan to use longer, i would recommend to buy zx3;where you could have spare battery(s). other than battery; the differences are that zx5 are shock proof and dust proof which are not very significant to me. I'm quite happy with the cam and would recommend to others.
Old 03-07-2013

sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurledge View Post
finally got a chance to video during day light.

http://youtu.be/6Gxml0hLpYo

Guys, need your advice again on my concerns.

1. during the kick (my left leg), i position my left leg toward outside before doing the flick. I could not figure out why; but, i always thought by left kick is well synchronized with spearing or body roll.

2. my body is arching too much during left hand spearing & right leg kicking; am i over rotating?

3. my elbow almost/never pointing sideway (i.e high elbow catch). how do i fix this.

i have some others problems; they could be the root cause. Pls assist. I appreciate.
nurledge
As to No. 3---Your high elbow catch is non existent. Your arm starts and ends its stroke STRAIGHT and goes all the way back straight. You need to do some research and learn how and when to bend your elbow to form a catch. Read Terry's book "Extraordinary Swimming for Every Body." Look up Shinji Takeushi's YouTube video "Shinji Takeushi's 9 Stroke Swim." Note when and how he forms his catch. When breathing, notice how he leaves his arm extended while breathing, and leaves it there until the fingers of the recovering arm are almost touching the water. Remember to "Extend your arm to breathe." You are pulling on your extended arm while breathing. See your video at 18 and 21 seconds.
Work on a "patient lead arm" or sometimes referred to as "front quadrant swimming"----always leave your gliding arm extended until your recovering arm's fingers touch or nearly touch water. This along with a relaxed head floating in the water will do wonders for your balance, which when accomplished, will do many good things for other aspects of your swim.
It took me 25-30 hours of practice to overcome the urge to pull too early, but was definitely worth the effort.
Old 03-07-2013

nurledge

Thanks Sinker for the comment/analysis. Looking forward to study and correct my catch.
Old 03-07-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurledge View Post
3. my elbow almost/never pointing sideway (i.e high elbow catch). how do i fix this..
I am just giving a small idea. Who knows I maybe right. I am not a coach and I am not certified. Just self learning like you.
About your elbow: When you start to stroke backwards, try and focus on holding water with the whole width of your forearm. Try even to force it even if its not working at the beginning. If you do that, your elbow will naturally point sideways. You are supposed to "point" the whole forearm(width) backwards and keep this position during the stroke. Its one of those "secrets"... dont tell anyone.. ;)
Terry spoke a lot about the importance of holding water in the forearm. Try and feel the water with the whole width of the forearm.
I have a feeling that you are not holding water at all in your forearm. I hope you are familiar with the "holding water" concept.
I am curious myself to see if I am right or wrong by the replies.

Last edited by swimust : 03-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2013

nurledge

Thanks Swimust for the tip; frankly, i ve never done any focal specific to high elbow catch. I just realized when i saw the video. I'm so happy with the finding so that i could correct it.

I started reading on water hold/anchoring. draw an illustration based on coach Mat Hudson's words in describing it.

"If there were a piling or post in the water in front of you, and you were to swim past it- I would have you time your catch so that your catch hand and forearm would set right on the surface of that piling, and as you take a stroke. Instead of the catch hand pushing back in the water, you would push off of that piling to cause your body to slide forward, past the piling. The piling is fixed- it cannot move. So your catch hand cannot slip back in the water. You have to slide your body past it. This is ideally what we would like to achieve with each catch."

Last edited by nurledge : 03-07-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2013

tomoy

Nurledge - nice improvement since December. Suggest you work on balance more, keep more weight up front, concentrate on the patient lead hand especially when you breathe.

@Roman100, much belatedly if you ever come back to this thread:
http://www.mediterraswim.com/trainin...deo-links.html

Cheers.