Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013

sinker
Default TI Coach Anna-Karin-Lundin

http://vimeo.com/43427820

Coach Anna has interested me with her style. She appears to have a very wide and smooth entry, and to me is one of the most accomplished TI coaches and swimmers.
Unfortunately, this is the only video of her I can find. I would very much like to see both underwater and above views to further study her style.
Does anyone know of any other videos of her?
Old 01-18-2013

CoachLuisaFonseca

It's BEAUTIFUL.

She's perfectly at ease in the water.
Old 01-19-2013

rcrawf

Although it appears beautiful, production and all, as I looked closer I saw some serious over rotation and is that a wide scissors kick (legs way outside of body) under water that compensates for over rotation? I'm not sure we want to see an under water shot. She does lead her recovery nicely with her elbow, nice relaxed entry, no splash. There is also a funny vertical, up and down bobbing to her body during the stroke, perhaps pushing down on the water with her pull hand. Am I the only one who sees these things? Still, she is very graceful in the water.

Rich
Old 01-19-2013

sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawf View Post
Although it appears beautiful, production and all, as I looked closer I saw some serious over rotation and is that a wide scissors kick (legs way outside of body) under water that compensates for over rotation? I'm not sure we want to see an under water shot. She does lead her recovery nicely with her elbow, nice relaxed entry, no splash. There is also a funny vertical, up and down bobbing to her body during the stroke, perhaps pushing down on the water with her pull hand. Am I the only one who sees these things? Still, she is very graceful in the water.

Rich
Rich
Your questions are precisely why I would like to see more video views. Let's see if the actual stacks up with the perception given by this limited view. Is she "overrotating", or just using a little more rotation than you or me because it fits her personal style. etc.
Come on Anna, more video please.
Old 01-19-2013

Josefish

Awesome , great smooth stroke and nice music.
Old 01-19-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker View Post

Coach Anna has interested me with her style. She appears to have a very wide and smooth entry, and to me is one of the most accomplished TI coaches and swimmers.
Unfortunately, this is the only video of her I can find. I would very much like to see both underwater and above views to further study her style.
Anna does. Her boyfriend is a videographer and if you requested, she might enjoy putting together some over under stuff from her training course.

She does have some others with underwater views.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-19-2013

aquarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker View Post

One thing I notice is that she rotates her head ahead of her body when breathing. We had a thread about this recently, and here it's quite clear that the head isn't simply rotating with the body, but earlier. See at 00:37 in particular.
Old 01-19-2013

Janos

Well spotted Aquarius. Deliberately separating the neck rotation from the shoulder rotation can solve all the answers to breathing issues. A deliberate action by the head instead of it being taken for a ride by your shoulder seems so much easier to me.
If you click on the link for further videos from Anna there is further footage of her elegant stroke, and no evidence of over rotation or scissor kicking etc.

Regards

Janos
Old 01-19-2013

rcrawf

After watching the second video (see below) I stand corrected on the scissor kick it must have been a reflection in the water from her arms. But I still say that during her left breath her arm is sweeping in an arc higher than her right recovery and her shoulders are stacked. Check out the stroke at 14 sec of 1st video. Notice the distance from her left hand to the water. Now I know her shoulders look very flexible and could be contributing to an illusion, but her left shoulder looks completely vertical to me.

If you look at this 2nd video: http://vimeo.com/54792095 you will see the same thing at around 54 or 55 sec, the shoulder stacking seems to be tied into the breathing.

All this being said, an incredibly beautiful stroke.

Rich

Last edited by rcrawf : 01-19-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawf View Post
After watching the second video (see below) I stand corrected on the scissor kick it must have been a reflection in the water from her arms. But I still say that during her left breath her arm is sweeping in an arc higher than her right recovery and her shoulders are stacked. Check out the stroke at 14 sec of 1st video. Notice the distance from her left hand to the water. Now I know her shoulders look very flexible and could be contributing to an illusion, but her left shoulder looks completely vertical to me.

If you look at this 2nd video: http://vimeo.com/54792095 you will see the same thing at around 54 or 55 sec, the shoulder stacking seems to be tied into the breathing.

All this being said, an incredibly beautiful stroke.

Rich

The great thing abou tthis thread is that you guys are developing a fairly discerining eye for swimming. it's nice to have such a great swimmer where the fundamentals are sound. regarding some of the comments

the shoulders are not stacked...the are a bit "steeper" than her non-breathing strokes, but Anna's extreme shoulder flexibilty allows her to have a smooth wide TI recovery while rotating teh torso a little further than what you see Terry doing.

it works for Anna because of her anatomy & biomechanics. We always need to keep this in mind when looking at differences between swimmers abilities. Janet Evans comes to midn in this regard. I've been criticized by some "smooth" swimmers because I discouraged people from emulating Janet Evans ina still shot photo I'd posted awhile ago. What I had posted was a frame of her torso flat and her straight recovery arm coming almost vertically over the head...impossible to do without extreme shoulder flexibilty.

That being said, Anna was a former Swedish Olympian swimmer in breaststroke, who holds current World Masters Champion titles...AND she practices her TI freestyle routinely and always wants to improve. She's got the mind of a champion for sure, and a stroke that reflects her hard work...and smart approach to improvement.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle