Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012

BradMM
Default DVD or One-on_one

I have the option of buying TI DVD's (I like The Complete Swimmer Bundle a lot) or paying for one-on-one lessons here at the university where I work. There's one young lady who is awesome in the pool but I don't know about the quality of her instruction. All the instructors would be certified but are also college students.

Would I be better off spending my $$$ paying for someone who can look at what I do and make suggestions or buy DVD's and hope the knowledge transfers over. I think past books and DVD's from Terry have helped but I have no one to evaluate me.

Because of the logistics of setting up the one-on-one, I'm currently leaning toward the DVD's. I know that "both" would be ideal but I'd rather take it one step at a time.

Brad
Old 08-08-2012

dgk2009

both,I just did a clinic and it was very helpful to know I was doing the drills right,but was also helpful that I already knew the drills.
Old 08-08-2012

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
I know that "both" would be ideal but I'd rather take it one step at a time.
I agree..... but....
Old 08-08-2012

hippo

If possible, the one-on-one would the way I'd suggest.
The focused instruction on exactly what YOU need and how to correct YOUR issues makes a class highly efficient.
This is th eroute I chose, and it has worked for me, very well.

That said, if you wan to learn TI, make sure the instructor is a certified TI coach. Not that non-TI coaches aren't good, but, well, this is the TI forum... ;)

Hope this helps,
Hippo
Old 08-09-2012

BradMM

hippo,

That's kind of the issue. The instructors would be non-TI and I've been a TI follower for a while. I'd love to attend TI training and contacted someone once about it but it fell through.

I've also used some of the student trainers in the gym and felt I knew as much as they did... they are, after all, still students.

So, to refine the question, would the quality of instruction LIKELY be more effective from an unknown entity, one-on-one student instructor, or from a known entity, Terry's DVD's.

I know there's no way to know in advance but, if someone said the DVD's were very effective for them, that might sway me that direction.

Thanks to all!

Brad
Old 08-09-2012

westyswoods
Default DVD or 1-1

A word of caution with one on one from non TI coaches, they may be a good fit although I'd be very cautious. Before going down that road have a sit down and discuss your goals and the TI philosophy with them. There can be a considerable difference between the more traditional and TI stroke.

One suggestion would be to use the DVD and get a swim buddy to video tape both above and below water for review. Invaluable feedback and even better you can post on this forum for review.

Good Luck

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-09-2012

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
A word of caution with one on one from non TI coaches, they may be a good fit although I'd be very cautious. Before going down that road have a sit down and discuss your goals and the TI philosophy with them. There can be a considerable difference between the more traditional and TI stroke.

One suggestion would be to use the DVD and get a swim buddy to video tape both above and below water for review. Invaluable feedback and even better you can post on this forum for review.

Good Luck

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Good advice and I have considered video taping and posting... just never done it. I don't want the WORLD critiquing me! I think I may make the DVD's step one, see how they help and, if I feel I need more later, seek a one-on-one from the available non TI instructors. They are all 40 years younger than me so I'm afraid they might have a hard time transferring what they know to an "old guy."
Old 08-09-2012

BradMM

Done deal... I ordered the DVD's.
Old 08-09-2012

hippo

Probably the best route, keep us posted on how things go!
Hippo