Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Olympics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012

BradMM
Default goggles

I noticed that some of the swimmers have a string hanging off between the eye pieces on their goggles... what's up with that? New goggles?

Also, related to this (kind of), how long do goggles tend to last before they start leaking? Mine are. I only lap swim so I don't need a full mask but what kind of goggles do you like?

Brad
Old 08-03-2012

BradMM

How about TYR Hydrolite Goggles fpr $9.50?
Old 08-03-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
<snip> ... how long do goggles tend to last before they start leaking? Mine are. I only lap swim so I don't need a full mask but what kind of goggles do you like?
Brad
Forever, if they have renewable parts. Check this out.
Old 08-07-2012

BradMM

borate,

Looks good, are you selling them???

I would love some feedback about how/why goggles start leaking. Natural occurrence with time or poor product selection at the beginning.

Brad
Old 08-07-2012

swim2Bfree

Quote:
I noticed that some of the swimmers have a string hanging off between the eye pieces on their goggles... what's up with that? New goggles?
Re: your first question, that's just the white string on self-assembled swedish goggles. Most people snip the leftover string, but others don't, perhaps as some sort of fashion statement. I noticed Tyler Clary in particular tends to leave his string hanging out.
Old 08-07-2012

BradMM

Thanks so much, I was really curious!
Old 08-07-2012

borate

Quote:
borate,

Looks good, are you selling them???

I would love some feedback about how/why goggles start leaking. Natural occurrence with time or poor product selection at the beginning.

Brad
Dunno ... perhaps both. Straps and cushions tend to become brittle over time. That's why it's nice to be able to replace them individually, when the goggles themselves (which can be expensive prescription lenses) are still viable.

Designs have improved over the years. Allegedly, the principle behind these goggles allows them to be tensioned less tightly than suction-based models or those with flimsy pads and an anemic strap. That could prevent headaches. Different thicknesses of replacement pads are available. Thicker may be better for those who have deep eye sockets.

This manufacturer has many styles. In lieu of visiting the factory, one must guess at the style most suitable. But on any of these models the nose bridge and straps are adjustable. No, I have no connection with the company.
When new, or replacing parts, expect a period of adjustment. After break-in, and proper strap tension, little adjustment is required. At least that's been my experience over a twenty-year period. Your mileage may vary. ^_^

Last edited by borate : 08-07-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2013

tamtam140.6

Quote:
How long do goggles tend to last before they start leaking? I only lap swim so I don't need a full mask but what kind of goggles do you like?

Brad
Swedish goggles (once adjusted properly) shouldn't leak at all since they are just a hard plastic. If they do, they might need some more finaggling. I'm not a fan though. My face is too delicate!!

But all those silicone gasket models are gonna pose a problem after some use (no telling exactly how long). Just follow care instructions like rinse with fresh water after use.
Obviously, don't leave them in the sun. That's the WORST. I ruined a pair that way. Left in my car and they got all crunchy Won't make that mistake again!

This might help you choose a pair though: http://www.swim-goggles.info/