Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Find a TI Training Buddy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009

freshegg

New Zealand reporting in..... I don't know how much assistance I could provide, as I live in a very small town, and even though we have a very active and avid swimming community, I doubt it would be economically feasible to host a workshop here. The closest "big city" pool would be in Wellington, about two hours away from where I live. But i wouldn't have a clue how to go about rounding up interest ! If you have any suggestions, I'd certainly listen to them.

As for the time of year, does it matter, since it'll be an indoor pool anyway? But you are right, July/August would be the coldest months here.
Old 04-16-2009

pmuni
Default TI in Chile

Hi:
We would be delighted to have you visit us in Chile (if you are considering New Zealand, then Chile doesn't seem so far away).

I am a Director in a very active Masters program that includes both Chilean as well as ex-pat swimmers. Our club has a great pool with top quality facilities that I would have no problem arranging.

Let me know if this in an option.
Regards,
Pablo
Old 04-20-2009

sagarshankar

Please do come to India, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad anywhere in the South is fine. Would love to be coached on your technique. I'm tired of paddleboards :(
Old 04-21-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default TI World Tour

Your responses are all lovely and most encouraging. While Fiona had health issues that kept her from making the trip she was planning, I've taken note of all the wonderful places where enthusiasm for TI is alive and well. We have many outstanding coaches who would enjoy the opportunity to visit some distant corner of the world. I invite anyone who does have the means -- such as Pablo, the Masters coach in Chile -- to help us gain pool access and to connect with improvement-minded swimmers, to email me at terry@totalimmersion.net and I'll have our staff begin investigating arrangements.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-21-2009
Head Coach

Default PS to Pablo

Pablo
I should mention that on Saturday I swam a relay in the 24-mile Tampa Bay Marathon. One of my relay mates, Rachel Golub, swam across Magellan Strait at Tierra del Fuego on Jan 22. One of her companions on that swim, Cristian Vergara, a Chilean native but presently a resident of Brooklyn, was on another relay Saturday.
Cristian and Rachel both completed the 2.5 mile Magellan swim in 1 hr 50 min in 40F (4C) water without wetsuits. In fact Rachel wore a bikini!
Did you hear of this swim?

My TI Story
Old 04-21-2009
Head Coach

[QUOTE=freshegg;2848]The closest "big city" pool would be in Wellington, about two hours away from where I live. [/QUOTE]

Freshegg. Just over two years ago I spent 10 days in NZ. I led a workshop in Auckland, a few small classes in Taupo (just before IMNZ - and separated my shoulder in a mtn bike crash while there) and another workshop in Wellington. I've been to NZ twice and consider it the most scenically beautiful country I've yet visited. Can't wait to return, probably fall/winter of 2010. In the meantime, TI-OZ does conduct occasional classes in NZ. Dunstan Bertschinger, head coach of TI-OZ/NZ can be reached at tiswim@mac.com.

My TI Story
Old 04-21-2009

pmuni
Default TI in Chile

Hi Terry:
First of all let me clarify that I am not a coach, but I head the organizing committee in my club for the masters program (I guess the term "Director" is a bad transliteration). Nevertheless, we have direct access to organizing the event in our pool.

With regards to your other message, I did not hear about he Strait of Magellan swim. It may have been in the press, but apparently the coverage was not that broad seeing that I missed it. Personally I am a warm and calm water swimmer, so far staying away from our cold ocean (average water temperature is 14-16 Celsius).

I am a recent TI enthusiast, struggling like the rest with the focal points. My biggest challenge is fitting my TI drills into our intense "traditional" training program where the focus is on developing aerobic capacity. What I can say, however, is that TI has allowed me to complete the sets right behind much more experienced and fit swimmers than myself. There is alot to be said about the structured approach to teaching thar allows one to be aware of the mechanics behind our strokes.

Congratulations and I hope to see you in the near future.
Pablo
Old 04-30-2009

mnd1204

Hi Terry,

I've been trying to find a TI coach in the Toronto area for the past months without much success.
I personally know quite a few people interested in TI and the availability of a TI workshop (even for limited time) would more than welcomed.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009

POLI

Your coming to Spain, posibly Barcelona, would be great.
With the proper publicity, getting a group on people interested should not be a problem.
(I would try to get there for a couple of days if such an event is confirmed).
If not Barcelona, Alicante would be a great place with many,many people from around Europe (and the rest of the world) living here all year long or vacationing.
July and August should me months to avoid if we are to swim in OW and late September or mid June would be perfect because of the water temperature, although the chance for rains increases.
Getting an open-roof pool (and enjoying the sun) would also be possible.
Old 09-21-2009

sabali33
Send a message via Yahoo to sabali33 Send a message via Skype™ to sabali33
Default Ghana Needs TI swimmers

Hello Fiona
Please Ghana needs TI swimmers. In Ghana generally swimming is not developed. There are just a few individuals who know how to swim, and practice the traditional approach. I think I am the only one who swims TI way in Ghana. I invite TI coaches to help Ghana. I would organize a 25m-pool for that. Please let me know if TI is interested