Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshegg View Post
This brings up a question I have been wondering about for a while -- When I "spear" my lead arm forward, and I try to get my shoulder to my chin (or my chin to my shoulder) as I extend, am I supposed to actually "shrug" my shoulder up? Because when I do that, I sort of feel like Quasimodo, and it also creates a lot of tension in my shoulder. I feel much more normal, with less stress on my shoulder, if I actually push my shoulder down while extending with my forearm (I think this might be what Rhoda was getting at, but I'm not sure), which is more like how a ballet dancer extends an arm. It feels more like a good stretch to me that way, but then my shoulder doesn't actually reach my chin, either. So which is correct?
Like in the video? http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5027/fr...shoulders.html

It does feel more tense, but at the same time, it feels more streamlined.

I've been working on that lately. I've been getting a good streamline on the right side. The left side has a gap when I breathe to the right. That's what I'm looking into now.
Old 02-26-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
This brings up a question I have been wondering about for a while -- When I "spear" my lead arm forward, and I try to get my shoulder to my chin (or my chin to my shoulder) as I extend, am I supposed to actually "shrug" my shoulder up? ... It feels more like a good stretch to me that way, but then my shoulder doesn't actually reach my chin, either. So which is correct?
You don't want your shoulder to reach your chin. That is a very cramped and un-natural position. Are you by any chance working from one of the older books?
Old 02-26-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
You don't want your shoulder to reach your chin. That is a very cramped and un-natural position. Are you by any chance working from one of the older books?
Ah, right. Maybe the emphasis should be on having the shoulder in line with the side of the body (left/right streamline positions) and maybe at 3 o'clock at the best.

I'm attaching two screenshots of Grant Hackett for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grant_Hackett_non_breathing_side.jpg (69.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Grant_Hackett_breathing_side.jpg (76.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-27-2009

freshegg

I'm working from the "Easy Freestyle : 21st Century Techniques" video but the "Extraordinary Swimming for Every Body" book. So I don't know which is which.

I watched that video that Shuumai posted but it looks to me like those swimmers are "shrugging" their shoulders up to meet their face. They also don't appear to be doing TI swimming at all -- in fact in the voiceover the narrator mentions something about "before you begin your pull", and they're certainly not swimming on tracks. Also, how can you "narrow" your profile if you're supposed to be doing wide arm entry? So now I'm totally confused.
Old 02-27-2009

AWP

With all do respect to Shuumai, he is a contributor to this forum (containing a plethora of insights I might add) and not a TI Coach. If you are following the TI progression and literature, kudos to you, continue by all means reading and rereading and practicing what Terry has laid out. When you become 'competent' in your swimming you can then decifer for yourself what works and what you can 'enhance' or alter. It's always evolving, but if you're just beginning stick to the plan, patience, drill well and completely focused.
Old 02-27-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
With all do respect to Shuumai, he is a contributor to this forum (containing a plethora of insights I might add) and not a TI Coach. If you are following the TI progression and literature, kudos to you, continue by all means reading and rereading and practicing what Terry has laid out. When you become 'competent' in your swimming you can then decifer for yourself what works and what you can 'enhance' or alter. It's always evolving, but if you're just beginning stick to the plan, patience, drill well and completely focused.
Well, yeah, the video has nothing to do with me, other than the fact that I linked to it. The video is by the GoSwim people. They do things their own way just as TI people do things their own way. But then, if something is valid, it's valid for everyone, regardless of the source. But then again, like you said, people can figure things out for their selves as individuals. I just presented a perspective for consideration.

That actually led me back to a TI view: left/right streamline positions with the hand in line with the shoulder.
Old 02-27-2009

shuumai

Quote:
...how can you "narrow" your profile if you're supposed to be doing wide arm entry? So now I'm totally confused.
The entry might be wide, but as you extend your arm and your body rolls, the profile becomes more narrow.