Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011

LBRoberts

Thanks Kevin

I train short course but will head over to some of the lidos when they open soon. I haven't posted on here for a while as home and work life are both rather busy!

But I have been swimming once or twice a week and now that a routine is developing at home, I should be able to extend that to 4 to 5 times including some lunchtime swims. When I swim I focus on a different focal point for 10 lengths. These are variously: high elbow, rotation, reaching for the rails, relaxed arm, integrating the breath into the stroke better to eliminate dead spots in the stroke, ensuring the kick initiates rotation, ensuring my legs are not splayed and create drag etc

I am finding that by focusing exclusively on one focal point at a time is very helpful. The one thing I need to do is leave the stopwatch at home. I am still too worried about my time and its irrelevant for what I am doing right now. I can swim 1500m in around 24-25mins now but it'll be a whole different world in open water. When the lidos open, I need to try with the wetsuit on in open water and that's when I will experience new challenges and need lots of tiips!
Old 04-08-2011

LBRoberts

I had a really good swim tonight; I was focussing on rails, and integrating the timing of rotation with anchoring. I managed to get into a good rhythm and the timing clicked and I knocked one minute off my last 1500m time.

My stroke is coming along well and I'm slowly getting fitter. I clearly need to do a lot mroe training but home life does make it difficult to balance these things!

But what I really need to do is try some openwater swimming. The lidos open soon.....
Old 04-09-2011

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBRoberts View Post
I had a really good swim tonight; I was focussing on rails, and integrating the timing of rotation with anchoring. I managed to get into a good rhythm and the timing clicked and I knocked one minute off my last 1500m time.

My stroke is coming along well and I'm slowly getting fitter. I clearly need to do a lot mroe training but home life does make it difficult to balance these things!

But what I really need to do is try some openwater swimming. The lidos open soon.....
Laurie, even though you have home life commitments, as long as you prepare in the right way with the training time you have you should be okay. For me Kaizan swimming means to be mindful and concentrate on being a better swimmer coming out than when I went in. Time in the water is important, but mindful time is far more. When The Lidos open up and you can get in do so but for now work with what ya got.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 04-10-2011

LBRoberts

Cheers Naji

Lidos will give me experience of the cold (albeit in a wetsuit). What I also need is some open water experience. I am genuinely fearful (irrationally) of open water. I am a strong swimmer but there is something I find irrationally scary about the dark deep water (too much watching Jaws as a kid I guess!). I am not used to swimming without good visibility

But that's the aim of this sponsored swim. To conquer my own fears and raise money for a good charity. I will practice all things mindfully and will succeed I'm sure