Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010

bsaaditya

I'd read elsewhere on the forum that making an effort to swim downhill would actually result in an optimal position. Could somebody reiterate this point in more detail? Coz if LBRoberts is right, then it's okay for me to be looking slightly ahead and not right down, which I would prefer. Especially right after taking a breath, I find it easier to exhale when my head is not facing right down but slightly forward, I'd say, 30 degrees in front.
Old 09-25-2010

LBRoberts

If you look at video footage of elite swimmers you'll see they also look slightly forward, with the chin slightly extended.

Why not try it and see what efffect it has on your swimming in terms of comfort and efficiency
Old 10-07-2010

seungew

Does anyone know how much difference head position can make on one's SPL in 25m pool?

I use to swim with my eyes forward and achieved roughly 25 strokes per length, but after trying my head position with my nose facing the bottom of pool & the top of my head facing more in the direction of travel I managed to get my SPL down to 22 and even 20 on fresh lungs and arms. Does this sound right?
Old 10-07-2010

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by seungew View Post
Does anyone know how much difference head position can make on one's SPL in 25m pool?

I use to swim with my eyes forward and achieved roughly 25 strokes per length, but after trying my head position with my nose facing the bottom of pool & the top of my head facing more in the direction of travel I managed to get my SPL down to 22 and even 20 on fresh lungs and arms. Does this sound right?
I had a similar experience. After a one-hour coaching session dedicated mostly to head position, my SPL dropped by 2. Incidentally, my head wasn't even raised that much; I was just looking ahead slightly.
Old 10-08-2010

quad09

If I were drone I would leave it alone: the head position that is. At least until you see a good video that represents exactly what you are doing. I think we all miss the mark when trying to estimate tilt angle and other facets without the benefit of video.

To respond to the question about SPL on a 25m length, i'm 5' 8", 163 lbs. and mine is 19 for what it's worth.

What is the need to look even slightly forward, do like Dorothy and follow the little black road on the bottom of the pool and focus on good breathing. Especially since you said you have no problem getting air.

Good luck!!
Old 10-14-2010

seungew
Default head down slower ??

... well I tried to swim my regular 1500m workout with my nose facing the pool floor but I found I was a couple minutes slower on my over all time and over half the time it didn't feel as effortless in the water as how my head is regularly positioned.

At some point from my past I was told by my masters coach to swim with the waterline at my eyebrow. And I guess its just a case of bad habits die hard, but when I swim with my head down I can feel my body weaving more. When I swim with the waterline at my brow I can feel my my body ride higher up on the water the first 500m.

Anyhow I feel swimming my regular way is contradictory to the physics of being streamedlined but like I said it seems to me that I have a better "feel for the water" with a slightly higher head positioning.

Thoughts on why I feel like this and why I might be swimming slower with my head down?

Thanks in advance :)
Old 10-15-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Seungew
Your name (or forum handle) sounds Asian. Are you in Asia? I arrived Hong Kong last night and for the next month will be here, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and Thailand.

It might simplify your questions about head position if you thought differently about it. Right now your thoughts are external - where should the waterline be - and visual -- where are you looking.

Instead try a kinesthetic, or muscle-feel, approach. Simply relax the muscles in your neck, shoulders and upper back that usually hold it up. I.E. 'hang' your head. That way your head will go where it wants to be.

When you do so, take inventory on how other aspects of your stroke are affected. And how your body feels.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 10-15-2010

leading.seamen

Hi Terry, I live in HK. Is there a workshop? It would be a honour to meet you or attend a workshop.
Old 10-15-2010

seungew

Hey Terry

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my head position problem.

My handle "seungew", yes, is an asian name and I am Chinese Canadian, living in Calgary, Alberta Canada. It must be nice to be in Asia now:) I had the fun opportunity to visit there once back in the early '90s. I only spent 18 hours there as I was on route for Bombay, India. I'm sure you will have a great time visiting and experiencing eastern culture. Too bad I won't be there to meet you.

Thanks for your advice on my outlook of head positioning being external and perhaps taking it to literally. You are probably right and in the philosophy of swimming the key is to "Relax".

I will meditate on your words the next time I swim
and let you know Terry.(Dwah Jeh -- thank you in Cantonese)

Safe Journeys :)

Last edited by seungew : 10-15-2010 at 06:22 PM.