Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010

NuSwimmerRal
Default Rhythmic Breathing Struggles

I have received some excellent TI instruction from a local coach and I have the latest freestyle DVD. I practice at least 4 out of 7 days. The coaching has been very helpful with balance, active balance, skate and spear switch drills. I think I am pretty good with spear switch. Using wide track and drive with hip to a good x/y coordinate on the spear.

I can execute spear switch and use sweet spot breathing to go continuous for 50 - 100 yards. But I continue to struggle with rhythmic breathing and spear switch. I find when I turn for air I am always underwater and have to wait to surface. When I watch Terry on the DVD his simply turns his body and head slightly and air is available.

I have experimented with not spearing as deep but not seen any positive results. I also try to make sure I am patient with my lead arm when I try to get air.

Is this normal?
Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Perhaps you can provide some recommends on how to improve this area.

Thank you

Last edited by NuSwimmerRal : 09-27-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-27-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSwimmerRal View Post
I have received some excellent TI instruction from a local coach and I have the latest freestyle DVD. I practice at least 4 out of 7 days. The coaching has been very helpful with balance, active balance, skate and spear switch drills. I think I am pretty good with spear switch. Using wide track and drive with hip to a good x/y coordinate on the spear.

I can execute spear switch and use sweet spot breathing to go continuous for 50 - 100 yards. But I continue to struggle with rhythmic breathing and spear switch. I find when I turn for air I am always underwater and have to wait to surface. When I watch Terry on the DVD his simply turns his body and head slightly and air is available.

I have experimented with not spearing as deep but not seen any positive results. I also try to make sure I am patient with my lead arm when I try to get air.

Is this normal?
Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Perhaps you can provide some recommends on how to improve this area.

Thank you
The spear switch drill is more about hip drive and establishing the timing between the catch and the hip drive. IMHO it is not a balance drill. The skating drills do more to encourage the balance necessary to keep your head from dropping too far into the water. Here is a set of old TI drills that worked for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZ1cTHRG7I. The log rolling exercise will get you used to rotating in a tight circle which will keep you close to the surface. They will also train your body turn in unity which could be a problem also. Try them out see what you think.
Old 09-27-2010

flppr

i've been doing ti with the same frequency as you for about a year, and it is only recently that i notice my height in the water doesn't vary as widely as before. i think its related to timing. i used to surge and stall a lot. when i stalled, i sank lower in the water. now, i've improved my timing and don't stall or sink as much. so, from my experience, it is normal since you are "nu". it will get better with time and practice.
Old 10-02-2010

NuSwimmerRal

Hello

Thank you. I have try the drills shown on Youtube. They have helped a great deal.
Have a good weekend.
Old 10-05-2010

davidprice
Default Air is good!

Getting enough air really just developed for me this past summer. Yes, it can be a challenge I agree.

1) The first thing that helped me was to make sure my head was in the right location in the process of rotating to air. I did this by rotating til I had one eye out of the water. I practiced that without going further then returned to my face down position. Do this on both sides to make sure you are set use the left or right side.

2) Once you are comfortable with the first step you can start to think about going a little further to get air. In step one you should also be aware of the centerline of your body and keeping your 'laser beam' pointed straight ahead from the top of your head.

3) If you feel your feet drop as you rotate to air your lead hand may be too high. If you are having to wait, in your opinion now, too long then your lead hand could be too deep. I think this is something that only you can decide for yourself as I did.

4) Once all the above has been worked out for you you should begin to feel a 'solid' feeling when you get into the sweet spot position that TI teaches us about. It will be obvious to you. I have also heard the expression 'pressing your bouy' i.e. arching your back so your tummy gets lower in the water. That can help.

5) I find now that if I need to I can dwell a little longer in sweet spot to take more air. At this stage of development you will be totally confident in your ability to hold that balanced position and take all the air you need!

6) If all else fails, and you need a longer break, go all the way over to back stroke and take about 5 strokes like that and then rotate back to freestyle.

Enjoy the journey!

David
Weare, NH