Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008

Suddethb

[quote=shuumai;482]First make sure your instructor is not an NRA member before asking to be shot.

Not a problem! I AM an NRA certified instructor! Swimming would pose unique challenges for those who are licensed for concealed carry though!
Old 12-07-2008

Suddethb
Default 5K Open Water in Butterfly? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
There were two of us (myself included) swimming fly at an open water 5K this September. I think we were both 51 at the time. Neither of us won any speed medals though (more like 50 yards in 50-55 seconds).
Ross,you are now one of my heroes! I always like to set stretch goals, and the idea of doing an open water 5K in Fly is amazing! Like the others, I'm interested in any thoughts you can share on your mindset and modified techniques to keep going that far. Any changes from the way the Butterfly for Boomers is taught? I saw the promo for the Open Water DVD, but I don't have that many open water places near me (around Washington, DC) that I'd want to swim due to toxins and bacterial levels. That concerns me more than anything.

Brian
Old 12-07-2008

Suddethb
Default Butterfly in Sr. Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
I'm going to my first senior olympics next Aug. in 50 & 100 fly.
Go for it! I'm not up to the qualifying times yet, but I noted the target times for each stroke and distance in my log file along with my best time at that length (if recorded). My plan over the next month or so is to swim and time them all to see how much improvement I need to make to be competitive. I think I may be focusing on the longer distances since with TI training I can conserve more energy for the end. I was disappointed that I don't see a 200 or longer Fly at all. It's the only stroke limited to 100yd. Too bad. None of the strokes have a 400. I'm 48 now, so I have about two years to practice.

What's your time in the Fly 50 and 100 now? I've got a 43 fly and don't know for the 100 yet.

Brian
Old 12-08-2008

madvet
Default Racing longer

In Ross's open water swim, I think he said that they have a division for fly (which has been 2 people usually I think). For meets, you can "make your own" race if you want to do longer swims under race conditions. Just enter a "freestyle" race of the preferred distance and do the stroke you want. It won't be entered as that stroke, but you will know what you did.
Old 12-09-2008

Ross

Well, last year there were 3 of us. But Tom couldn't make it this year, so it was just Dan and me. No, there wasn't an official fly division. But we knew who we were.