Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013

swimust
Default This comment may have saved my swim

A basic understanding inside the mind. Its not a neurological thing. Its a concept thing.
To me, the quote below is what the TI swim is all about. Summarized in a nutshell in one line. This line tells me "everything"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
Hip or body rotation, does not propel. It is a by-product of an anchored weight shift.
What does it tell me and what makes it special to me:
1) I shouldnt be fooled by the Shinji "hip roll" and "torso twist". They are just tools. They are not the target, they are the means.
2) The idea of the WHOLE TI swim is to weight shift, not to twist the body.
3) The anchor! - The most underrated element in the TI swim! people hardly talk about it but no one can swim without it !!

Today I worked on "elbow anchor" (that's how I call it) during acceleration and then body rolled into weight shift. I first anchored, then trusted myself to twist into weight shift every time, every stroke...
"fist swim" (no gloves) to improve balance and streamline, zipper swims for feeling the anchor against the weight shift.

The CoachBrian comment = PRICELESS. It made me understand the TI swim. Using the word "anchored" is what made it happen!

I may have "got the message" this time from a comment made 4 years ago! :)

Last edited by swimust : 06-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2013

swimust

ok... CoachBrian is talking about anchoring with a patient lead hand and I am talking about anchoring with elbow during arm acceleration, BUT... the idea is the same! I just got lucky! Have I found the "Shinji secret"?... :)
I needed an anchor to weight shift against it! That's what I didn't understand until now: The connection between weight shift and anchor. Not between hip roll and anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
As someone mentioned, rotation alone will not do the trick. I've worked with plenty of swimmers who swim like the agitator on a washing machine, and move forward just as quickly.

With a patient lead hand on a wide track, drive your weight forward onto the other track. With a focus on shifting weight, rather than simply rotating, you can cue your patient lead hand to be wait for the proper moment.

As your recovering elbow and high side of the body are poised in the skate portion of the stroke, coordinate the pull with the release of energy from the arm dropping in, and the high side becoming the low side. Your body will obviously rotate as this happens, but the rotation is not the focus.

The hips will rotate, but a small rotation in the hips can be magnified to a larger rotation in the shoulders, especially at higher stroke rates. And flatter hips help you stay higher in the water (especially useful for lean body types). To keep the hips flatter, kick up and down, rather than sideways.

Go here for an article about the relationship between the lead hand and the weight shift.
Obviously his anchor is different but the rest is the same!Even the flatter hips and larger rotating shoulders is a Shinji idea as well.

Last edited by swimust : 06-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.