Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012

bpusnsailor
Default Patient Lead hand takes patients

Over the year have been diligently putting the TI approach to work. I took a Ti lesson recently and the filming finds probably my sole biggest problem is lack of patient lead hand. I drop very early and get disconnected from my core. I do lack some rotation of my cerv spine, not bad but have to add that.

Now the question: is it simply skate drills one does to overcome this dropped hand. So far i have been getting better at holding it, but i find when i breath my shoulder sinks and then i get a gulp of water. If i go back to my old technique i must be thrusting support upwards with that early drop to keep my head up for air. I watched the you tube clips and the TI swimmer looks long and does not sink when the head is turned for the breath. What's the trick??
Old 07-26-2012

WFEGb

Hallo bpusnsailor,

2ct from a noncoach (have in mind): You told about lack of rotation. This seems (to me) a contradiction to sinking shoulders when turning to breathe. It will happen, with stacked shoulders. Therefore skate and zen drills are the cure.

Are you sure it's a sinking hand? I suspect (by my own typical mistakes) it's a dropping elbow. If so, focus on gliding into "Terry's" mailbox slit with your hand (first) and then reach over "Terry's" frontside of a VW beatle. If there with hand-arm-shoulder your inhale should be finished, your recovery hand ready its fall into the water. (And you're swimming in frontquadrant :-) )

Regards,
Werner