Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012

smat
Default Floating

How do i float. I have had over a dozen TI lessons and several practice sessions with a friend who is very good at floating . I am stressed with TI as i am not getting it and it has cost a lot of money. I think if i can get some tips on floating it might help. Thanks
Old 07-14-2012

dgk2009

I hear ya,I would say I'm in the same boat as you but then I could float,I sink like a rock.
Old 07-14-2012

WinnAngela

Practice SMG over and over and over. Push off wall and go straight into SMG. "Feel" the streamline. Start every practice with this.

Then, you can push off wall into SMG and transition to Zen Skate.

People with more muscle mass and less body fat will naturally "sink" faster than those with a little body fat.

Why are you practicing floating so much? It is beneficial if you can't swim, but if you are learning TI. The principles are learned and practiced in this order:
1- BALANCE
2- STREAMLINE
3- PROPULSION

Which drill is simply "floating"? I'm not familiar with that

Angela
Old 07-16-2012

smat

Thankyou Angela. Have not heard of Zen skating but i skate very well,but have been reading about the feeling of leg sinking and that is waht i feel and for the first time i even felt it in my wetsuit.
Old 07-16-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
How do i float. I have had over a dozen TI lessons and several practice sessions with a friend who is very good at floating . I am stressed with TI as i am not getting it and it has cost a lot of money. I think if i can get some tips on floating it might help. Thanks
This is your catch 22, TI is about finding joy in swimming, its the tension and frustration that will be inhibiting your mindful progress, including your ability to float well.

You need to have the confidence in yourself that you are going to achieve your goals, then you will relax, enjoy the process and improvements will happen organically.

Good luck with it all.
Old 07-17-2012

mbruse
Default Think so, make it so

Yesterday, in my pool I was just relaxing and wanted to see if I could float with out moving. I started with just thinking of sinking. My body went to the bottom of the shallow end (approx 2.5-3ft). My feet hit first and then my thighs, to my stomach, hands , face, slowly sank flat on the bottom. Nothing really, just thought heavy and sank.

I tried the opposite, thought to myself float, float, relaxed. My head actually went up, feet went down, the back of my head and neck was exposed to air. I was the classic "dead man floating" in the pool.

Not sure but my I think my thoughts had some impact on my buoyancy somehow?

Has anyone experienced this? What would explain it?
Old 07-18-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:

Everyone sinks...just to different degrees. Your body density and the amount of air in your lungs will determine your bouyancy. It's no trick.

That being said, holding a lot of tension in your body can make it harder to float (does the contraction of a muscle, the sliding filaments...make it more dense when contracted or tense???).

The other catch 22 is that if you are very dense and have a hard time floating compared to others, it makes it harder to realx to learn the movements and postures.

it's possible ot be relaxed and still sink while doing drills. As your movements become more fluid, maintaining forward movement becomes easier and while you may not "float" as high as others, you'll have less trouble staying near the surface.

Terry & I did a workshop together in May. We had a 20 something lean, athletic man who sank faster than anyone I've ever worked with. I couldn't even get to him in time to help with any of his positions before he was at the bottom of the pool.

So, being the experienced & confident TI coach that I am... I sent him to Terrys' lane. ;)

Terry's advice? "You'll have to maintain momentum!". Fortunately this athletic young man had no fear of water and it was all fun.

If you are as dense (body wise) as this fellow was, and if you are tense adn not having fun, it will be very difficult to learn. If that is the case, yours would be one of hte rare exceptions I would make to having a learner use aids.

In fact, 2 days ago I worked with a Marine...and I've never done this before...I gave him TWO pullbouys PLUS A KICKBOARD...just so that he had enough TIME to think about and feel his body position in the water.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 07-18-2012

tomoy

In addition to all the sage advice above, my little tidbit is this: any form of stress or discomfort in the water will lead you to sinking.

I've been pursuing TI for about 2 years now, and for some reason I decided to go back to Superman Glide across the 25Y pool a couple weeks ago. I don't really enjoy drills. I moved through them as quickly as I could to get to full stroke. It still took me 3-4 launches to get all the way across.

BUT the one thing I noticed which I had never been able to do before, was that I could float in SG, come to a full stop, and still keep everything floating w/o feet sinking.

Nothing I did in the last year changed, or retaught me how to do SG. The only thing I can imagine is that a) my arms/shoulders have more muscle now so that will balance me forward, b) I'm more relaxed and experienced in the water now.

So that last part applies here. When you're nervous, stressed, tense, you breathe more shallowly, and oxygen doesn't get as deeply into your blood. When you're relaxed, your breath is deeper, moving it lower into your abdomen which helps keep your lower body afloat, and your whole system is better oxygenated.

That's my theory at least, so I'm sticking with it. All the best.
Old 07-18-2012

grandall

Quote:
Hi Smart..and welcome to the forum!

I had the same problem with floating in the water. For me I wanted to learn how to float not so much for improving my swimming but more for water safety. I decided to enroll in a red cross swimmer safety course to learn how to float and basic water safety skills that might help me when I'm in the water. The instructors first lesson was to teach me how to float on my back and learn to relax in the water. At a lean 165 pounds the first time I tried to float I sank to the bottom imediately. The instructor informed me that she could feel my tension and that I needed to teach myself to relax in the water if I wanted learn to float. Another thing the instructor noticed was I wasn't breathing properly to keep enough air in my lungs.

Overtime through practice of learning to relax (no tension) in the water and controlling my breathing by keeping air in my lungs I can now say I can float on my back/front with ease.

Would like to add that even though I could float in the water I still needed to learn to swim well using good balance, streamline, and propulsion. So don't confuse good balance in motion (swimming) with still floating.

Keep practing in time it will come.
Old 07-18-2012

daveblt

This is so funny ,my wife is a non swimmer. She is afraid to put her face in the water no matter what I say to her or how much I try to help her . BUT , she can float on her back though and better than I can and I've been swimming TI for 17 years and I know this stuff. She can lay on her back and just rest there without kicking . When I lay on my back without moving I have to at least just very gently kick to stay afloat at the surface. If I stop kicking my legs will slowly start to sink after a couple seconds .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 07-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.