Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012

WinnAngela
Default Critique My Form, please

OK, I'm putting myself out there. *I'm confident this will be very humbling for me...

Here is problems I see

1) I watched my video again. *My hips appear to be rotating a lot, which isn't bad except they don't appear to be "attached" to my upper torso. *I don't think my core is working as tightly as it should. *Should I be tucking in my sacrum a little?

2). Because I don't have a high enough elbow lead, especially with left arm, there are a lo of bubbles when left hand spears into the water. *Also, because my elbow isn't high enough, my hand entry is too shallow. *I fixed that a little towards the end

3) my legs splay a little

4) when I breath, my lead arm slips to the outside of my target. is that happening because I possibly lift my head when I rotate to breath? And is *Is that also why my legs splay.

Maybe if I can tighten up my core, which would allow me to be more compact and streamline, all the other problems would work themselves out?

I do some narration during the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QX25...e_gdata_player
Old 07-15-2012

mbruse
Default Nicely done

Wish I could swim like that WinnAngela, nicely done! Looks like you have done a great job of the critique already.

I would agree with your lower target estimation. It looks like a better use of gravity as well to generate rotation.

Best of luck polishing that form
Old 07-15-2012

daveblt

Your stroke really looks too good to criticize .Nice and smooth .Just maybe some very minor details . The head lift you mentioned to me seems minimal but perhaps maybe a bit less head turn and showing just one goggle above the surface when you breathe could make this good stroke even better . Also letting the left elbow relax more for a more elbow lead recovery even though it's not all that noticeable .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 07-15-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2012

TomH

Nice smooth swimming. Only thing I notice is that sometimes when you breath to the left side, there seems to be a slight hesitation in your left arm motion. It looks like your left arm sometimes pauses at the beginning of the recovery until you finish your breath. Also, that was a good demonstration of a high spearing target versus spearing to a lower target.
Old 07-15-2012

haschu33

WinnAngela,

Nice balance, nice body position, nice to look at.
I don't think your legs splay, the kick is small and compact, I wouldn't worry about it.
Where is the room for improvement? I think - TomH mentioned it already - you are a little too slow at the end of the stroke. You simply loose time there - the 'deadly' pause at the end of the stroke as Doc Sue Aka Coach Suzanne calls it. You can see that at 1:07 quite clearly with your right hand getting really slow at the end.
I think focusing on the end of the stroke could help. Maintain the same 'pressure' on your anchored forearm (Terry calls it featherlike) to the very end, maybe shorten the stroke a little bit and move your arm - in fact your elbow - with a sudden movement out of the water. Shinji does a wrist 'snap' in order to initiate this movement. Just lift your elbow out - forget about the hand. Then you get a high elbow in the catch, your forearm follows on it's own, the arm feels 'weightless' during recovery and you just have to direct it into the water. A better timing and a more continuous stroke will come with it.

Just my amateur opinion.

Hang on in there...

P.S. I like that bikini, nice colors, not those sad dark ones...
Old 07-15-2012

TomH

"Just lift your elbow out"

I think I remember Coach Todd calling it "elbow pop" when he was trying to teach it to me.
Old 07-15-2012

tony0000

Hi. What I notice, particularly in the earlier part of the video, is that you seem to turn your neck unnecessarily when breathing. If you are willing to keep your mouth closer to the water line, you can probably rotate your head sufficiently out of the water simply by rotating your body, without the need for turning your neck, which can throw off your alignment. Perhaps think about watching your elbow when your breath to achieve a smooth and coordinated roll of the head to the side, rather than a quicker, snappier movement, which I see a bit of.

Please let me know if this helps. Good luck.

Tony

ps. Out of curiosity, how long are you able to maintain your stroke for without resting?
Old 07-16-2012

swimust

@ WinnAngela,
As a brain practice for myself, I just watched your swim. This is my little beginners opinion:

Most new swimmers in TI classic (not Shinji) have issues with their kick. Even Terry admitted that he is working on his kick at present.
I guess that changing your kick to the Shinji kick is too hard to do, maybe impossible in classic TI. BUT... I suggest to try and coordinate the kick with your stroke. Can you try and kick the moment you finish the stroke? It means delaying the kick and it might give you more balance and streamline. It will give your body more time to shift its weight in a more controlled way. Looks to me that you are jumpy when you shift the body weight. It has to be more controlled and more streamlined.
I guess that a better timing of your kick might just help with that.
I am not a coach so take it or leave it.

Last edited by swimust : 07-16-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2012

haschu33

swimust,

I am not so sure what you mean with TI classic and Shinji TI. I don't know what that is and what the difference is. Can you elaborate, please.

Also, I checked the timing of WinnAngela's kick and Shinji's kick with the 'TI ultimate Demo' video. Both Shinji and WinnAngela kick after the hand enters the water to drive it to it's target. I cannot see any difference. Can you explain that also, please.

Thanx
Old 07-16-2012

WinnAngela

I had a lesson with Coach Luísa Fonseca in Madrid yesterday. I will post a video tomorrow.

HUGE IMPROVEMENT! I am so excited. Normal 19-21 SPL in 25 yard pool has reduced to 17-19 in a 25 meter pool and I did not even realize it or try.

Simply shifting weight, along with what seemed like endless laps of Zen Skate / Swing Skate fixed everything.

Yes! I want to swim the the girl in the video on front page of this site! I swear that I am close!