Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012

PlumFlower
Default Superman Glide

Encouraged by Terry's long post on balance and streamline in SS thread, I begin my pool session by doing several SG.

Many of us have seen Shinji's YouTube video showing how he does it. As you can see, he is able to glide very far without hip dropping and leg dropping. However, no matter how hard I try, my legs sink in a matter of seconds. I really have tried my best - placing both hands in front, streamlining, keeping head down etc. Does any of you have the same problem? Is there a guidance saying for example "able to glide XXX seconds before sinking showing you have a good enough balance"?

I've registered a private coach session with Shinji in two weeks. I am so excited about that!
Old 01-03-2012

ALMD

Hi

I am new in TI, but well beyond the SG.

the thing that worked for me was to just glide with your outstretched arms, completely relaxing your head and neck, and like TI DVD says, you should start to feel the water lifting your body , if you maintained yourself in this relaxed position...you should float longer than just few seconds ...I used to glide short distances, but as I am getting more relaxed in the water, I glide further , and I stay floating longer...

Try relaxing when you glide and dont try very hard...just let water lifts your relaxed body as you glide ...
Old 01-03-2012

PlumFlower

Thanks ALMD. I guess when I try hard and eagerly want to float, I forget to relax. I will focus on relaxing next time. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012

ernewill

You have probably had your coaching session by now. You will have to tell us about it.
When you glide, are your arms out straight or at a bit of an angle toward the bottom of the pool? A rigid straight out position is not really natural and will tend to drive your hips and legs down. When I glide, my arms are out in front of me at about a 20 to 30 degree angle from the surface of the water. I don't sink at all.
Old 01-04-2012

andyinnorway

If you have a private lesson with Shinji then I am sure your SG will be great at the end of the lesson.

For me SG gets better and better every month, it can just take a bit of time. Today was the first day I ran out of breath before I sank. I was over 11m at least.

One change I made this week was to practice full body length floating by placing my feet onto the steps near water level (flat not hooked) and practicing being clam and relaxed in the swim position.
Old 01-04-2012

bx

I must admit I've never really understood how you can "relax" in Superman Glide.

I keep arms outstretched as if reaching for a rung just beyond grasp.

And if I let my head do what it wants, it wouldn't be in the correct spine-aligned, or laser-beam position.

Maybe it's a question of degree, and I go beyond tone into tension.

I've never bothered pointing my toes though. Maybe that's why I only go 6m before my feet say hello to the floor.
Old 01-04-2012

collinsdc

I have found ease in Superman Glide by following some advice posted on the forums by Coach Suzanne. Apologies for not being able to post the link to this as I have been unable to locate it.

When practising superman glide I allow the elbows of my outstretched arms to drop below my head. If say 3 0 clock is just under the waters surface then my hands probably point downwards to about the 4.30 position. I find that this raises my hips & legs & allows me to glide easier & for longer.

Over the last few weeks with practice, I have been able to gradually bring my elbows nearer to my head with the same results. Give it a try - it works.

In the earlier TI Freestyle Made Easy DVD, pointing the leading hand to the 4 or 5 0 Clock position was recommended to improve balance when doing Skating Drill. I don't know if this is still recommended but it certainly works.

Denis.
Old 01-04-2012

PlumFlower

Thank you all for great advices.

It seems that SG seems simple, but to do it well takes time even for some good swimmers. I will lower my arms a bit (20-30 degrees or 4:30 clock) and relax to see if I can get better balance.

My private lesson with Shinji will be on 1/17. Will report back after that..
Old 01-04-2012

tomoy

I forget where I read it, but I recall Terry making this point about relaxation. When your muscles are tense, they push oxygen out. When they relax they take in more oxygen. So it's important to focus on relaxing all your muscles, and you will find less sinking, in general.

I think it's somewhat unhelpful to think in terms of floating up though. I like to accept the fact that I sink... to some depth. The trick in superman glide is to sink your front and rear to the same depth, evenly. This is balance we seek.

I recently had a video made (too chicken to post), and one thing that was really interesting was the push off to start. I'm zooming along flat at the surface, my toes pointed, my heels right at the top of the water along with the rest of me. As soon as I pull my left arm out of the water during recovery, and begin rotation, my body appears to sink 6-8" like a submarine going underwater, and my recovering arm is the periscope.

I think that's just the way it goes, hence the term Total Immersion. We don't talk about it much here, but it really is key. If you don't spend energy staying at the surface of the water, you have a lot more to spend moving forward.
Old 01-04-2012

PlumFlower

I practiced SG just now in the pool. The lower-arm advice seems to work, I found I can stay at the surface longer. Thank you.

However, I found I couldn't totally relax. I had to stretch my arms forward with hands overlapped, if I relax, my arms would bend. Same with my legs. If I relax, they would bend. I kept my head low in the water and looked straight down. If I relax my neck, I would look somewhat to the behind, and not down.

Do you exhale or hold your breath when doing SG? Maybe I should exhale..