Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011

andyinnorway
Default Bilateral Xmas Breathing Club

Calling all lazy one sided breathing freestylers like me!!

Everywhere I read that one of the single best things you can do to improve your freestyle is learn to breathe bilaterally.

Whilst I have made some efforts on this I haven't committed myself to cracking it until now, and often go weeks without swimming a left side breathing length because I am so excited about other aspects of my swimming discovery.

There is something dispiriting about swimming so unskillfully after months or years of effort to become proficient on the otherside (How many professional footballers can only kick with one strong foot - most of them - and they get paid millions a year to train and hone their skills)

I am therefore today making a committment to swim 200 warm up and warm down breathing on my left side until the new year and believe that will be enough to crack it.

Anyone care to sign up to the challenge with me?
Old 11-22-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Andy
Congratulations on your resolve to tackle this improvement opportunity.
I did this myself in the early 90s, probably 4 or 5 years after starting TI -- and almost 30 years after I began swimming.

I'd been mainly a left-breather all that time. Right-breathing felt awkward. I felt my best chance to make it feel more 'normal' was to combine concentrated right breathing with bilateral breathing.
I made a similar resolve during a visit to Santa Barbara CA, where I swam in the historic (opened in 1932) and beautiful Los Banos del Mar - a 50m pool next to the ocean.
I began by swimming successive 50m lengths in this pattern
50 Left Breath
50 Bilateral
50 Right Breath
50 Bilateral

I compared sensation and SPL on each. I was surprised to discover that I saved 2 SPL when breathing to the right, compared to left. That encouraged me to continue.

Please share any discoveries you make.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-23-2011

jtravis

I'm game, except I can't swim 200 breathing on either side. I am just a beginner and can really only breathe on the right...I won't really feel confident in the water until I can breathe on both sides. I think I need need to practice breathing only on the left for a while--then I can try the bilateral.
Old 11-23-2011

cynthiam
Default I'm in

Been working on this very thing lately, though without much focus.

During my first 1.5-2 years of TI/learning to swim, the right side breath became comfortable & the left was like visiting another planet. In the past 6 months or so, it has completely switched for me. Left side is comfy, can breathe w/half my mouth in the water, and the right side feels almost like the left used to.

A few more-comfortable right-side breaths last weekend while swimming in the bay encouraged me to keep at it.

So I'm with you, Andy & anyone else. Thanks for the suggested practice, Terry.
Old 11-23-2011

Richardsk

I'm still working on this after five years of being a TI devotee. I have reached the stage where I can turn my head quite easily and look out of the water with one goggle on the 'wrong' side but, no doubt from force of habit, I often breathe out rather than in when my mouth clears the surface. I breathe in on the left side without even thinking about it. On the rare occasions I swim one arm free I can breathe quite easily to either side ( the stroking side - I haven't mastered the more difficult drill of breathing on the non-stroking side).

I'll join you in this quest.

I've got a meet at the weekend and will start on it when I get back.
Old 11-23-2011

swimust

just another frustrating thread for me to read because I do one eye Bilateral Breathing in my sleep (in the water. not when I actually sleep), but I dont have a smooth swimming yet... today I will fix that with a proper torso rotation. I am sure I will!... ;)
I have so many things going right but...
there is going to be an end to my frustration and SOON

Last edited by swimust : 11-23-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2011

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
just another frustrating thread for me to read because I do one eye Bilateral Breathing in my sleep (in the water. not when I actually sleep), but I dont have a smooth swimming yet... today I will fix that with a proper torso rotation. I am sure I will!... ;)
I have so many things going right but...
there is going to be an end to my frustration and SOON
Why don't you try to put a video up, then we can help maybe.

Also, I try to tell myself that frustration in my swimming is just a lack of confidence that I will reach my goals. Aged 38 I have 30 years or so of active swimming to become a master so I do not need it all to happen in the first 9 months.
Old 11-23-2011

Richardsk

"Aged 38 I have 30 years or so of active swimming to become a master so I do not need it all to happen in the first 9 months."

Aged 76 I hope I have another twenty years or so of active swimming, by which time I may catch up with some of the faster ancients I meet in competition. Then again, I may not, but what matter? The journey is the important thing.
Old 11-23-2011

Scotty
Default Count me in

Andy:

This is one club that I need to join. I'm plagued with splaying legs syndrome which defeats my twin goals of speed and streamlining.

I've been practicing the one-armed stroke and get most of the way across the pool before I rotate to sweet spot. This drill has helped me immensely with bi-lateral breathing.

During my workout today I included Terry's suggested drill (provided in this thread) which was very helpful. The biggest challenge I face is not allowing my focus on "every three" to eclipse fundamentals such as a clean spear and high elbow entry. It just takes so much mental energy to change my breathing cadence that other focal points are completely dwarfed.

On my first bilateral lap today, I breathed every three most of the time, but had an instance where I breathed successive strokes, and once every six strokes.

What I like best about "every three" is that breathing every other stroke seemed too often for me. I was always forcefully exhaling to get ready for my next breath. Breathing every three allows me to exhale more gradually. My breath control is ironic given the fact that I am 58 and asthmatic.

I look forward to hearing about other club members' progress and suggestions to expedite progress.

Scotty