Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruse View Post
Hi -

I use a poolmate watch consistently now when I swim. It counts my laps and tell me total distance, has a swim golf feature, etc.

I saw an advertisement for the pebble watch. I was wondering if anyone here has used it and could tell me if it's worth it getting?

Thanks,

Mike
Hey, Mike, here's a small lap counter and stopwatch mounted on a finger, so you can trigger it with the thumb on the same hand.
http://www.swimmerstuff.com/sportcou...ch_1724_p.aspx
I don't know about the Poolmate, but the Garmin910 XT takes a few seconds to compute the number of laps, so would be useless in real time to tell you what lap you just completed. This finger mounted counter registers immediately on being triggered so a quick glance right now during the turnaround tells you how many laps you're at.
Old 02-14-2015

Talvi

I always try to keep spl count and always get distracted by things in my stroke that call for my attention. I get the stroke count (with no delay at all - maybe there's a fault with your one) after every interval, which has to do me :(

My stroke rate was way below 1.40 when I started using the 910XT with ver.3.0. I didn't have a TT at that time but reckon it was over 1.6 and then some.

And ok, not burned, but "toasted porridge" sounds odd(er) and "browned porridge" incomprehensible!? My technique is with a derelict electric stove, cup milk plus salt, max heat until milk begins to steam, add half cup oats, switch off, stir until safe to put lid back on, turn dial heat to 1 and retire until there are just bubble craters in it. Allow to cool and scrape into a bowl with yoghurt and brown sugar. Nami nami! I've always been impressed by something I heard in an Englisg kaf one morning when a customer order his bacon "not too burned". Not a joke and not heard as one. Perfect instruction to the kitchen for "just crisp".

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 02-14-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
And ok, not burned, but "toasted porridge" sounds odd(er) and "browned porridge" incomprehensible!?.
To be clear, my steel cut oats don't really change colour, or at least hardly noticeable -- they just start to release a subtle nutty aroma before I end that part of the heating process, and gradually add the water to start the boiling.
Old 02-15-2015

Talvi

Best to be clear on these things ;) Mine's well browned, when I get it right. I get the saucepan to work like an oven, and the result is more of an moist oat-cake. In arab countries rice is cooked in a special cooker with a knob of butter which leaves the rice on the bottom and sides of it toasted. Many people think of that "crust" as being the best part. I do the same sort of thing but with porridge :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-13-2015

mbruse
Default Well I jumped in with the Pebble on

Hey guys, I could not resist and bought the pebble.

After some initial bumps, I got my first swim tonight with it.

It works as well as my swimsense but with a larger backlit screen. The screen is very readable even with tinted goggles. The con is that I can't play swim golf or see my strokes in real time at the edge of the pool as I did with swim sense. I had to upload to through the phone then login to the swim.com web page to see all those stats. It does a nice job of graphing and showing the stats.

Tech notes:
I tried at first with an Android S5 with Lolipop and it did not synch the workout I had. I sent an email to the developer and did not hear back. I then switched to Apple 6+ and it worked first try.

On the other front, nobody paged me while swimming so I did not get to see how that worked. I don't really like the thought of that necessary feature, breaking my zen and mindfulness while swimming is sub optimal.

Best Regards.
Old 03-13-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruse View Post
Hey guys, I could not resist and bought the pebble.

After some initial bumps, I got my first swim tonight with it.

It works as well as my swimsense but with a larger backlit screen. The screen is very readable even with tinted goggles. The con is that I can't play swim golf or see my strokes in real time at the edge of the pool as I did with swim sense. I had to upload to through the phone then login to the swim.com web page to see all those stats. It does a nice job of graphing and showing the stats.

Tech notes:
I tried at first with an Android S5 with Lolipop and it did not synch the workout I had. I sent an email to the developer and did not hear back. I then switched to Apple 6+ and it worked first try.

On the other front, nobody paged me while swimming so I did not get to see how that worked. I don't really like the thought of that necessary feature, breaking my zen and mindfulness while swimming is sub optimal.

Best Regards.
I am always on the lookout for gizmos that'll knock 10 secs/100m off my time so ... ;)

I looked up swimsense and it seems to now be called Streamline and to be a social app for swimming stats. Is that right? What device were you seeing your strokes on at the edge of the pool?

BTW must post another thread in this but my eyes are failing (with age) and my ark smoked dgoggles make reading even the 910xt screen sub-optimal. Do you have any views on whether yellow tint or blue tint is better for enhancing contrast on LCD screens indoors?

Re the tech notes, I'm assuming you haven't tried with MS?.

I simply cannot see any point whatsoever in the paging feature. Can you switch it off?

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-13-2015

fooboo

Quote:
Do you have any views on whether yellow tint or blue tint is better for enhancing contrast on LCD screens indoors?
Indoors, I use clear and amber (read orange) swedish.
Clears are must have if the light is not optimal.
I considered swim watch. Latter, I found the price not
acceptable. Fancy I don't have to know everything. :)
Old 03-13-2015

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooboo View Post
Indoors, I use clear and amber (read orange) swedish.
Clears are must have if the light is not optimal.
I considered swim watch. Latter, I found the price not
acceptable. Fancy I don't have to know everything. :)
The goggles that work for me have no clear, only blue or yellow.
E P Whipple said that "Books are lighthouses erected in the sea of time". My watch has a similar function in the pool!

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 03-13-2015

fooboo

Quote:
The goggles that work for me have no clear, only blue or yellow.
For me, yellow (orange) sharpens the picture. Never
used blues. Fogged outdoors (read swedish brown).
Old 02-02-2016
rsilvers

I noticed I can buy a used Pebble for $40, and the Garmin is $140. The PoolMates are $90 or so.

If the Pebble works, and has the bonus that I can wear it more often and see text messages, then it makes sense.

mbruse - does it still work ok for you for pool use?