Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Find a TI Training Buddy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Another reason to swim with Friends

Today's NY Times had an article on the health benefits of having friends with similar interests. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/health/21well.html?hpw
It mentioned previous articles on the topic that noted that, if your friends are overweight, you'll tend to be overweight. If they're fit and active, so will you be, most likely.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-22-2009

Rhoda

Hmmm... I keep hanging out with slender people in the hopes it will rub off, but it hasn't worked yet. What can I be doing wrong? :-)
Old 05-10-2009

khh1138

It's so true that some friends really encourage your healthy habits and others are just not good for your health. One of my friends and I get together for a "LAST CHANCE WORKOUT OMG!" before watching "The Biggest Loser" on Tuesdays (anyone who watches the show will understand) and it's such a healthier way to hang out than those friends who just want to go out drinking.
Old 05-10-2009

naj

[QUOTE=khh1138;3297]It's so true that some friends really encourage your healthy habits and others are just not good for your health. One of my friends and I get together for a "LAST CHANCE WORKOUT OMG!" before watching "The Biggest Loser" on Tuesdays (anyone who watches the show will understand) and it's such a healthier way to hang out than those friends who just want to go out drinking.[/QUOTE]

Terry, your right about hanging out and swimming with friends motivates you more. I joined the South End Rowing Club and now I'll be swimming in open water every morning five days in a row. Since I've been swimming TI, I've noticed that my body is very sleek and slim and my waist is down to 33 inches. Although my nutrition needs to be a bit better, I am more conscious of what I eat than before I began swimming.

khh1138, those "Last Chance Workouts" are a great thing! My last last swim workout of the week really kills me but its a blast and I love pushing myself. And regarding the show, "The Biggest Loser," I must admit I'm hooked on watching it and impressed with those that have hung in and lost all that weight. I'm rooting for Tara to win it all!

Keep swimming!
Naji