Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012

CharlesCouturier

+1, use fins, no evil there.
Choose them though, some are more suitable than others.
Old 08-21-2012

yearn2swim

+1 more on the fins.

I struggled with the skate drill where you rotate to air. I have a weak kick. I used fins to give myself some forward momentum and to compensate for some balance issues. After some practice, I could do it on both sides.

Nowadays, I still regularly do the skate and rotate drill after some SG to check my front/rear balance as I rotate - but I no longer use the fins.

Whatever it takes to get you over the hump and keep at it.

(I use Finis Zoomers.)

Mike
Old 08-21-2012

blazjul
Default using fins

I went to the public pool in Key West where I've been practicing...and they won't allow fins! Can you believe it, they allow kids w/ noodles, but no fins!

Anyway, thanks AGAIN for the additional responses; I am NOT giving up...it's nice to take on different challenges as one hits "middle age" =)
Old 08-21-2012

blazjul
Default Anyone ever try a "swimming snorkel"

In searching for swim fins, which my town pool doesn't allow, I came across "swimming snorkels" by Finis...maybe it could help me, by allowing me to breathe while I work on balance and stroke? Just wonder if anyone has any experience w/ these...sounds like a good idea for someone having as much trouble as I, but since I never heard of them before, I'm a bit worried...I include the URL:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/finis_snorkel.html

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-21-2012

C-Dad

Very similar experience - some of us simply have weak kicks for reasons having nothing to do with technique or athletic ability. It's often difficult for the fortunate non-kick-challenged to understand this.

For me, Finis Z2 Zoomers were a huge aid. I never used them very long, only for a few drill and whole stroke sessions, but what I gained was the experience of proper balance as a consequence of motion. I think the motion component is the key here. IMO, one just doesn't recognize the correct sensation without propulsion.

Stick with it - if you read the threads, you see many accounts of "Aha!" epiphanies, rewarding months of grinding. Can't explain the mystery, but take those testimonials very seriously. I dismissed them at first until I realized for some uniquely odd reason that freestyle improvement is as sudden as it is elusive.
Old 08-21-2012

tony0000

I've found the Finnis swim-snorkel to be an excellent TI training tool. It allows you to keep your head down, and hence your feet up. If you're not grasping for air, you can concentrate on the other elements of your stroke.

Good luck,

Tony
Old 08-21-2012

mbruse
Default Take your time

You seem to want too much, too fast. I would dare anyone to say they learned how to swim like Terry from the video in 3 weeks. I've been at this for 3 summers. Each summer progressing and improving on the previous and that brings me enough satisfaction to keep going.

I recommend that you measure yourself and enjoy the improvements you are making relative to YOUR baseline. Don't measure yourself against Terry's video form as he's been at this a very long time. He's got back muscles you are not even aware of yet. ;) While that's not a requirement to start, it does give the Expert the skill to make it look easy.

I remember when I could superman glide 1/2 way across my 30' foot pool. Then doing the spear switch drills. Struggling, until that day when I hit my head into the side of the pool. Jamming my fingers against the side. That was the day I moved to the 25 M pool and never looked back.

Good luck and in the spirit of Kaizen - enjoy your continuous improvement!
Old 08-21-2012

Talvi
Default just .. thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
After we worked on static buoyancy, we....

Position A = Side kicking with face outside water, eyes looking up to the sky. Body position. almost on your back.
Position B = Add the breathing, ie get side position and put the face in the water to breathe out
Position C = Recover the arm to end up in perfect prone flat position
Then take a pull and revert back to position A.
Here's the final result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRZsXHtbjk
These steps and the accompanying videos you gave in your post are really really helpful for me. Thank you so much!! :)

Could you say what you did to work on static buoyancy ... ??

This concept of balance confuses me. If you take a wooden pencil and attach a piece of lead shot to one end, that end will sink without the pencil having to bend in any way i.e. the sinking is not related to the "posture" of the pencil but to buoyancy (i.e. mass/volume displacement forces counteracting gravity).

Last edited by Talvi : 08-21-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2012

newbie2012

Hey blazjul,

I'm a beginner myself, following the same route as you, DVD workshop and book, and I'm going through similar issues as you're describing.

But I think it's more a matter of communication, learning on our own is more complex than it seams. I mean when reading or watching the lessons, we might not focus on the most important parts, or loose some of those important parts because there's a lot of new information coming our way and it's hard to get it all in.

Like you, my first problem was with the kick, I certainly had a poor kick, probably from the knee, probably too fast and whatever else, so I was bothered by it and posted here for help and worked on it and improved some ( I hope ). But today I was searching threads looking for advice on whether to use fins or not, and guess what ... to my surprise I read that the kick is not meant for propulsion, so my goal to improve my kick in order to advance faster makes no sense, and now I understand what they mean that you need to have a relaxed kick, the forward motion is kind of a side effect, should relax body, focus on position and relaxed kick, moving will come naturally.

My second problem is also one of your: breathing. I also wonder why it doesn't come in lesson 0 and why there aren't more exercises given for a beginner. But again the forum is useful ( check the O2 sub-forum ) so now I'm blowing bubbles in a bowl every evening :)

Probably most of our frustration comes from missing details from the lessons or from wanting to advance too quick and rushing steps a bit, and on our own it's hard to realize when our focus in not on the most important part of the exercise.

If there's any improvement to the DVD/book that I'd suggest, is to have in mind a beginner's mindset and expand on the things a beginner will feel are important but in reality they are not that much.

Anyway, good luck with your swim, stick with it and ask questions here whenever you need help.
Old 08-21-2012

blazjul
Default Thanks, will give swim snorkel a shot

Thanks, Newbie (and others)...in the near time, I think I may give the swim snorkel a shot...I may also speak to the lifeguard again about fins--maybe he thought I meant the "big" ones and not the swim fins...but I have seen a woman swimming at the pool w/ a snorkel so I know they allow that...I'm going to order it online, and try it and see what happens...

I definitely need more patience and expected too much; I get that now!