Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012

TheFrog
Default What does the water feel like...

Greetings, friendly Total Immersion folks!

This morning, I was practicing my very best stroke. At the moment, it is about eight strokes to cross my 18 yard pool. While it isn't particularly difficult physiologically, it requires a level of concentration that I can only maintain for a bit over a length at the moment. (There are a lot of things I have to get just right.) I'm working on hardwiring it into my nervous system so that I can maintain it over longer distances. I was doing a length, then pausing at the end and thinking about other things, then going another length.

During one of my mental recharge breaks, I was thinking about how different the water feels when I'm doing my best stroke. After giving it a fair bit of thought, the best way I could describe it is that the water feels as thick as molasses, yet slipperier than ice. This is hardly a perfect way to describe it, but it is the best I could do.

I don't feel like I have to pull very hard, but it feels like I'm gripping onto a substance much denser than water (both with my arm and with the kick). At the same time, my body feels like it is sliding through something much less dense than water.

With the full understanding that words are woefully inadequate to the task at hand, how would you describe what the water feels like when you are doing your best stroke?
Old 01-20-2012

naj

That's a great image thanks for that!

I feel like I'm on a slip "n" slide on my side shooting along, while at the same time I am able to grab hold of the water and pull myself along with no effort whatsoever. Hope this makes sense :)

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 01-20-2012

cynthiam

Oh, those are good ones, Frog and Naji. I know what you mean about the thickness & slipperyness.

2 weeks ago I had a great swim in the bay. I was breaststroking and got into a rhythm that felt like I was riding the water. Don't know how else to describe it... It usually feels like a good bit of work, but this felt like the water was working with me. It felt like heavy liquid silk, and I was moving forward efficiently. Kind of like slipping through Jell-O.

The water wasn't choppy, just a little ripply. And it was on the cold side, around 51F/10C.
Old 01-20-2012

jtravis

While doing my best stroke, I feel like I am inhaling more air than water when I breathe, and that I may drown eventually, but not right then.

I hope that if I keep practicing TI, my best stroke description is more like yours!!
Old 01-21-2012

boken
Default We say hello as we pass by

When I'm doing well, the water doesn't feel much like anything. I'm not pressing on it and it's not pressing on me and it just lets me through.