Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011

Richardsk
Default Year of the butterfly and year of the IM

A couple of years ago I designated the coming year as the year of the backstroke and in fact did manage to produce improvements, although there is still much work to be done.

In 2012 I think I will try to make it the year of the butterfly and IM, and with that target in mind I have entered the 100 IM at the annual Shrewsbury Masters New Year Gala, which is coming up on Jan 7th. The last time I swam this event in Shrewsbury I was DQ'd both in the 100 IM and the 50 fly for "arms not brought forward together over the water". I have now developed a form of fly that allows me to bring the arms forward together over the water (most of the time) and managed to avoid being DQ's in the 100 IM at a meet in November. My time was slow, but not the slowest I have ever swum, so I was relatively happy with the result.

The next challenge, which is also coming up soon, is to swim the 200 IM long course and perhaps also the 50 fly long course, although I may content myself with one of these to conserve some energy for my other races.

I will keep you posted on progress or the reverse.
Old 01-08-2012

Richardsk

Progress report:

I successfully swam the 100m IM at Shrewsbury without disqualification and in a time twelve seconds or so faster than my time in Maidenhead in November. Not my fastest time ever but not very far off.

In the 50m Fly, however, I had another of my all too frequent goggle malfunctions, missed the turn and made a few feeble sculling motions at the wall before adjusting my goggles and swimming back to loud and friendly cheers.

The sculling motions were enough to ensure the DQ.

I am now hoping that with lots of practice between now and then I can swim the long course 200m IM at the end of the month.

My other races (100m Free and Breast and 50m Back) were rather slow but as there was only one other competitor in my age group and he hadn't entered the full number of permitted events I ended up the winner of a small prize. I think I might have preferred his second prize of a souvenir swim hat.
Old 01-11-2012

AWP

Richard,

I just caught this report. Congratulations on your 100m IM completion and time; still improving, amazing!
Any prize is a prize but none so grand as being able to participate. Wish I had your steeliness.
Cheers,
Alan

Last edited by AWP : 01-11-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2012

Richardsk

Thanks AWP

It's only an improvement in some respects. I have swum faster with the less reliable stroke. The main improvement is that I think I can now be fairly confident of swimming a legal 25m. We shall see about the legal 50m LC soon:
Jan 27 and 28 in K2 Crawley (strange name for a swimming pool, eh?). The last time I attempted a 50m LC I was DQ'd.
Old 01-12-2012

AWP

Well, as a true TI stalwart I'm compelled to say (and I really believe it) that improvements can't be measured in speed alone. If it felt better, was better as a whole stroke then it's an improvement. Once you nail that down you can go "balls to the wall" as we yanks say (well crude ones like me).
I'll also take this moment to 'remind' you to stay in the moment in regards to the LC pool and perhaps break it down to five strokes at a time taking care NOT to look towards the far wall, just stay in the moment. Listen to me tell an 'ol war horse : )
Much luck and as always keep us up.

Alan
Old 01-12-2012

cynthiam

Richard, congratulations from a non-flyer. I'm impressed that you're continuing your improvements in butterfly and IM. Your ongoing passion inspires me.

Wishing you all the best in your upcoming events at the end of the month.
Old 01-12-2012

Grant

Glad to here of your success and progress Richard. Are you now 77 years in terms of swimming age. In Canada we become the age we would be on Dec 31 of that year. So I am now a 77er as you would be as well if you were a Canuck. I know the US goes by the actual birthdate. What policy does the Empire have?
Good luck in the upcoming meet.
Old 01-12-2012

Richardsk

Hi Grant

Yes, I'm now officially 77, although my birthday isn't till August. The rules are the same for all FINA masters competition. I think USMS also has a different rule for domestic competition. In my head I'm still 17, of course, but unfortunately the body has other ideas.

I really need a lot of work on the dive and the turns as well. I was watching a young friend doing the IM at Shrewsbury and was very impressed with her technique, especially the back to breast turn, which she did with a beautiful back somersault.

I think you probably have to be going quite fast to do that.
Old 01-30-2012

Richardsk

As promised, a short report on progress or otherwise.

I have now evolved a slight variation of my butterfly stroke, which involves adding a frog kick at the front end (after the hands enter) instead of at the back end (when the hands exit) as seems more common. I still do a dolphin kick at the back end. I consulted the referee and it seems this is within the rules. It is somewhat faster than my version with dolphin kicks at both ends, so I was fairly optimistic about completing the 200 IM successfully.

Alas too much anxiety about the stroke made me mess up the dive completely and before I reached the surface I had committed several grievous errors of hand and foot. However I swam the length with what I hoped was acceptable form and finished the race in an encouragingly faster time than I had estimated, so now I intend to try again in March at Swansea, possibly with an in the water start, to remove the possibility of fouling up the dive. No doubt other traps await.

Last edited by Richardsk : 01-30-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2012

tab

Hi Richard, I am a wee bit younger than you, coming in at 45. I just swam in my second official event in my life. I can relate to the anxiety. I swam in a relay the very first thing, in the breast stroke position. I had been doing a lot of freestyle starts using a more rapid dolphin kick in my practice time for the past week or so. As soon as the buzzer goes off in the water I go and immediately go into dolphin kick. I am not sure but it seemed like a long time in that kicking stage before I realized I need to do a pull down and engage the breast stroke sequence, oh well. While on my way down and back I actually had time to think if I may have earned a speeding ticket.( or lack of speeding ticket) I didn't so I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Why do these things attract so much anxiety?

I tried more of my one armed fly today, it is very fun.