Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012

tab

I would like to think there is two kinds of relaxation, One, I fall into a slumber, Two, is more of a comfort zone. I shoot for the comfort zone in SG. I treat it as a yoga pose, to some degree, you have controlled breathing in a pattern and you have to hold this form for a time. For a while when the water world was new to me, it still is, it was more of a mental activity. Since starting to swim I found I was tense, my muscles were reluctant to stretch out, this has improved over time also allowing me to find a more comfortable position in the water.

I breath out slowly, not much activity involved in SG, but some as it takes energy to get your self moving and dependent on the number of glides one does.
Old 01-05-2012

ernewill

If I remember my TI videos, the hands should not be overlapped. Try to extend them straight out from the shoulder and at the angle mentioned before. This is similar to the place you would target your hands on entry with your strokes and it starts to help you imbed this important location for your hands. Looking down is correct.
Old 01-05-2012

cynthiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumFlower View Post
I practiced SG just now in the pool. The lower-arm advice seems to work, I found I can stay at the surface longer. Thank you.

However, I found I couldn't totally relax. I had to stretch my arms forward with hands overlapped, if I relax, my arms would bend. Same with my legs. If I relax, they would bend. I kept my head low in the water and looked straight down. If I relax my neck, I would look somewhat to the behind, and not down.

Do you exhale or hold your breath when doing SG? Maybe I should exhale..
Don't worry, Coach Shinji will correct your form. It's the first thing he did for me at my first (of 2) lesson with him. I was surprised at how wrong I was doing it! And the correct SG form really helps your whole stroke.

I'd love to have a couple more lessons with him, but that location is not convenient for me. :(
Old 01-05-2012

PlumFlower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernewill View Post
If I remember my TI videos, the hands should not be overlapped. Try to extend them straight out from the shoulder and at the angle mentioned before.
I thought by overlapping my hands, I would get more balanced. :(

I will try extend them straight out next time. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012

PlumFlower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiam View Post
Don't worry, Coach Shinji will correct your form. I'd love to have a couple more lessons with him, but that location is not convenient for me. :(
I really look forward to my lesson with him. It's a bit far for me too, but it will worth it. :)

Last edited by PlumFlower : 01-05-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
I forget where I read it, but I recall Terry making this point about relaxation. When your muscles are tense, they push oxygen out. When they relax they take in more oxygen. So it's important to focus on relaxing all your muscles, and you will find less sinking, in general.

I think it's somewhat unhelpful to think in terms of floating up though. I like to accept the fact that I sink... to some depth. The trick in superman glide is to sink your front and rear to the same depth, evenly. This is balance we seek.

I recently had a video made (too chicken to post), and one thing that was really interesting was the push off to start. I'm zooming along flat at the surface, my toes pointed, my heels right at the top of the water along with the rest of me. As soon as I pull my left arm out of the water during recovery, and begin rotation, my body appears to sink 6-8" like a submarine going underwater, and my recovering arm is the periscope.

I think that's just the way it goes, hence the term Total Immersion. We don't talk about it much here, but it really is key. If you don't spend energy staying at the surface of the water, you have a lot more to spend moving forward.
Actually I've written about this a lot in other threads about recovery. Rather than "pulling your arm out", think of swinging the elbow away from the body. You'll stay closer to the surface.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-05-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Actually I've written about this a lot in other threads about recovery. Rather than "pulling your arm out", think of swinging the elbow away from the body. You'll stay closer to the surface.
That was exactly the same advice I had from my TI coach in England, just swing the elbow out.
Old 01-05-2012

tomoy

Ah. Cool. Thanks both of you! I'll try thinking Swing Out/Away next time. I really need work on widening my tracks.
Old 01-11-2012

PlumFlower

Hi Fellow TIers,

I would like to report back after my lesson with Shinji yesterday. My original date was on 1/17 but I rescheduled that to yesterday.

One word: amazing! I went from not being able to float for 5 seconds to being able to float until I ran out of breath. Sounds like magic.

First, he asked me to do a few SG my own way. I did and as usual, my feet started sinking after 5 seconds. I tried my best not to let my feet sink, but in vain. Then, he told me to do the following:

1. extend arms in front of shoulder and 6 inches below water surface.
2. bend knees so that shoulders are under water.
3. do SG, thinking about moving belly forward

At first, I did not get it, what is "moving belly forward"? Then he explained that it was falling into water straight sort of in a military style. Then I realize it is what Terry said "lean on water, letting water support you". It turned out I never truly understood the meaning of "lean on water" until yesterday.

After I truly leaned on water thinking about moving my belly button forward, I found myself floating so effortlessly. I felt water was so soft and surrounded me. That relax feeling made me want to go to sleep.

We went on doing drills based on SG. At the end of the lesson, I could make 9 strokes without breathing and cross 15 meters. Shinji said "that's because you don't need as much oxygen".

My next lesson will be on adding breathing. Currently I lift my head when breathing so I look forward to him correcting me on that.
Old 01-11-2012

Yadu

Hi PlumFlower...Congratulations !!

I have been trying to learn the SG. I can glide, but need to kick. If I dont, they sink.
From your post, I did not understand the second point which says
"bend knees so that shoulders are under water". Does that mean to relax the legs at knees? Can you please explain this bit more?