Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011

Alex-SG
Default Poor kicking affecting breathing

Today I realized my kicking could be one of the causes for running out of breath.

Although my intention is to have a 2BK, in reality each kick cycle comes with "half a kick" from the other foot. Perhaps it is a bad habit I developed over the last 2 years while swimming at low Stroke Rate and trying to keep balanced.

Here is the problem...
The 2BK is meant to help rotation. If the other foot does a 1/2 kick immediately after, it is like telling the body "Rotate right... well actually rotate left" in the same cycle.

So I feel as if my rotation to the left gets stuck. As if the body is not rotating around the Left Hand anchor point. That creates upper-body tension, breath holding instead of proper exhale and possibly forces my head to lift up to quickly get air.

So the solution for me is to force the other leg/foot not to move while doing the 2BK (ie. keep it straight at the surface).

Does this make sense? Does anybody have a similar problem? ALEX
Old 11-07-2011

jenson1a

You hit the nail on the head. I had gotten lots of advice on how to do the 2 beat kick. I thought I had it pretty well worked out, but couldn't figure out why I was still getting out of breath on very short distances. That was when my husband taped my swimming. OMG--legs were going all over the place, I was lifting my head, and my left arm was spearing underwater. Not much to write home about!

Have been working to keeping legs still and only using the leg that corresponded to the arm that was pulling. Also tried to minimize the kick. I was kicking so hard I could have kicked a football at least 50 yeards. No wonder I was getting out of breath.

Still am not very good at the kicking part, but am getting better. This TI thing is hard--too many things to think about but I hope persistence will pay off. At least the kicking thing is an easy thing to isolate and to work on.

Tks for bringing this up--I thought I was pretty obtuse. If I hadn't seen that film, I probably would never had realized where my problem was.

Good luck to you

p.s. you give a lot of good advice in your posts
Old 11-07-2011

andyinnorway

I think the 2bk is hard too but I find it gets better when i get near the threshold of where I can hold my SR in time with the tempo trainer (circa 0.8 for me). Its almost as if my body doesnt have time to muck about and quickness of the side to side means my legs kick more naturally to assist with the quick changeovers.

I also think its ok to do a type of 6bk, or tap tap kick where the two taps are very gentle and quick and come before the timing for the main kick. as that helps my brain co-ordinate which leg is going up and which down.
Old 11-08-2011

cynthiam

I can coordinate my right leg kick with rotation & left arm spear fairly well, timing-wise. Still needs much practice, but I can sometimes feel a good effect.

My left leg, on the other hand (um, foot?), just doesn't seem to be attached to the rest of me the way the right one is. The communication along that part of the X (left foot to right hand) is much less clear & that leg is pretty ineffectual. Does anyone else have this issue? And does anyone have suggestions for how to work on it?

I recall that Dshen posted recently about how he worked on his 2bk one side at a time. I have just begun that and am wondering if there are other helpful drills.
Old 11-08-2011

haschu33

My situation is a bit different since I learned freestyle with the aid of the 'Easy Freestyle' DVD. That means that you use a 2bk in all drills from the very beginning. So to kick with the opposite leg when spearing becomes so much second nature that it is almost impossible not to do it.
Still, in one short video I once took I saw that on the left side (foot) I was just kicking, but when supposed to kick on the right side I did a left side/right side kick, shortly after each other. But I only noticed that after some of the coaches here mentioned that as a comment to a video where you could see exactly the same.
It seems that the pattern of kicking on one side with a good single kick and on the other with a sort of double-kick is quite common. I have no idea why.
You just have to put your focus on the side where this happens and deliberately keep the not-supposed-to-kick foot unmoving until it is corrected.

Hang on in there ...
Old 12-12-2011

JimmyLai

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. But I've been learning TI swimming 4 months. I too got problem of breathing and I tried adjusting my head position,body roll,catch... Sometimes i feel it may work but they were not like what I thought....again and again. I filmed my self and realized how terrible my form was especially my legs kicking and sinking.
I knew I might kick too hard so my knees bent a little. Yesterday I tried to minimize my kick. That worked! I tried few laps and found it's much easier to bite air not water. So I feel more relax and feel faster.
Old 12-14-2011

efdoucette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLai View Post
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. But I've been learning TI swimming 4 months. I too got problem of breathing and I tried adjusting my head position,body roll,catch... Sometimes i feel it may work but they were not like what I thought....again and again. I filmed my self and realized how terrible my form was especially my legs kicking and sinking.
I knew I might kick too hard so my knees bent a little. Yesterday I tried to minimize my kick. That worked! I tried few laps and found it's much easier to bite air not water. So I feel more relax and feel faster.
I focused today's swim on 2 beat kick. I tried to calm my legs and reduce my kick to a flick. I was amazed at how much body roll ensued, almost over rotation, is that possible? I don't know if I rolled too much as my body felt like a barrel roll, but it was very enjoyable. Also helped rolling to air.