Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011

cynthiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
A further thought below on which I'd appreciate people's views. The background is the debate here as to spearing depth (some, including me, think shallow is better than deep, albeit these are imprecise terms).

The thought: is it an argument in favour of shallow spearing that a shallow spear means the catch begins with the elbow higher in the water?
My current thinking (after 2+ years of TI) is that deeper is better when the swimmer is still finding his/her balance. Seems to me that stroke-building drills are more effective and more easily done at this time if the spear is deeper. That's my experience, anyway.

When balance gets better and more consistent, a shallower spear can work. For me, the shallower spear was great -- for a while. I didn't realize at the time that my balance really wasn't where it needed to be, so other elements of my stroke were still out of whack & I had a hard time fixing them.

Two lessons in March w/Coach Shinji helped fix my balance & he suggested a deeper spear than what I'd been doing. I think this was mainly to fix my head-raising tendency. When my balance is really good, the deeper spear feels weird, almost like I'm trying to do a somersault. And it definitely feels less slippery than a shallower spear.
Old 10-26-2011

Donal F

It was an estimate, not a calculation, hence the word maybe. I measured the flat part of my hand and only the flat part of my forearm. I've swum with fistgloves a lot, too, but keep in mind the area of the closed fist is over half the area of the hand, though not as flat, so when you're fist swimming, you're not using just the forearm area. I have large hands, and estimate that (my) open hand area is 25 + 8 = 33 sq in, while closed fist area is 16 + 8 = 24 sq in.

The 2d area of my forearm is 35 sq in. If I had 25 + 35 = 60 with open hand and 16 + 35 = 51 with fist, I should hardly slow down at all with the fistglove on.
Old 11-01-2011

arunks

I am practicing the catch and I wanted to share a few interesting videos I found on incorporating High Elbow in the catch and pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCyO7gIlIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAMq9rSzyU

Hope this helps people working on the catch.

Arun

Last edited by arunks : 11-02-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2011

arunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
A further thought below on which I'd appreciate people's views. The background is the debate here as to spearing depth (some, including me, think shallow is better than deep, albeit these are imprecise terms).

The thought: is it an argument in favour of shallow spearing that a shallow spear means the catch begins with the elbow higher in the water?
I too am working on the catch.Regarding where the hands should enter into water and how the hands move underwater are demonstrated in this video, breaking the hand movements into different phases.(Watch it from 2:49 on wards).

Video link: http://www.theraceclub.net/videos/un...-introduction/

What I observed was I didn't see both the hands in the front quadrant but the way the hand is positioned after entry(wrist under the elbow, elbow under shoulders @ the 3'o clock position)is inline with TI and then the shoulder rotation sets up for the catch and then the pull happens.

When you say a shallow entry does that mean hand entering at the 12 o clock position and extended at more or less the same angle.Does this enable setting up of the catch easily and is it safe?

Also from a 3o clock position is it not possible to get the high elbow i.e elbow near the surface for a vertical forearm.

Let me know your comments.

Last edited by arunks : 11-03-2011 at 10:05 AM.