Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011

Jacey
Default transitioning to colder swimming conditions

I started swimming long distance in the Spring, and am still swimming although the water temps are considerably cooler. I just start later in the day when the river has warmed to its max. Am thinking its time to get a wetsuit. Does anyone have info on what I'd need. I'm here in Texas so not a Polar Bear situation. Don't think I'd need a hood, but feet covered sounds good, and long sleeves and legs covered. Hoping not to have to shell out hundreds...any suggestions good place to buy? thanx!
Old 10-23-2011

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacey View Post
Am thinking its time to get a wetsuit. Does anyone have info on what I'd need. I'm here in Texas so not a Polar Bear situation. Don't think I'd need a hood, but feet covered sounds good, and long sleeves and legs covered. Hoping not to have to shell out hundreds...any suggestions good place to buy? thanx!
XTerra makes a good quality wetsuit and, with frequently available coupons they can be acquired at quite reasonable prices. If you're not racing with it you don't need a super high-end one.

That said, the best way not to shell out hundreds for a wetsuit is to... not buy a wetsuit. There are many joys to "naked" cold water swimming. Fall is a great time to start, because you can gradually ease into colder water temps. Start with just a few splashes, and build up to longer immersions. You might find that you like it!
Old 10-23-2011

cynthiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacey View Post
Am thinking its time to get a wetsuit. Does anyone have info on what I'd need. I'm here in Texas so not a Polar Bear situation. Don't think I'd need a hood, but feet covered sounds good, and long sleeves and legs covered. Hoping not to have to shell out hundreds...any suggestions good place to buy? thanx!
You might want to try a few out before you commit to a purchase. There are rental options online, though my local sporting goods store offers better pricing and a wider range of suits to try. And you try them on in the store, so obvious "no's" can be eliminated right away.

As swim2Bfree notes, you might enjoy swimming w/o a wet suit if you build up to it. I prefer to swim "naked", but I have not yet swum through the winter. My water gets into the 40's, and I just can't make it in every day. Twice a week is not enough to acclimatize to winter temps; it takes more frequent exposure.
Old 10-31-2011

Jacey

Thanx! Just figured out where my post went! I used to swim half miles at lunch year round and that was in my 20's, in a spring fed pool in Austin, and just something about the cold weighed heavy on my muscles. Not sure why, but I find in my late 50's I can swim twice as far with much less trouble. I have a wet suit, just shorts and a sleeveless shell. I did swim more than twice a week, so maybe that will be good enough? Hate to give it up since it's done me so much good!
Old 01-23-2012

GretchenT

XTERRA also rents suits, so you could try some different styles and then buy the one you like best. Or decide that you don't like wetsuits and learn to swim without one. They also have suits on clearance at decent prices but I don't know what there return policy is like.