Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011

Richardsk

Sun Yang's 200 m is already pretty good. He's ranked fifth in the world at the moment, behind Lochte, Phelps, Biedermann , Park and Agnel, in that order, and they are the only five to have swum faster than 1:45 this year.

http://www.swimnews.com/rank

Here's video of his swim at the Chinese Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJI8J...eature=related

Not bad for a distance guy!

He would probably be better at 400 m, but he has a good chance of making the final of the 200m Free in London - all other things being equal, which they seldom are.
Old 10-20-2011
Coach

CoachDave
Default Hec

Lawrence-
I don't think we're disagreeing, either. This is the problem with forums talking about strokes instead of looking at each other. Maybe we should do a skype conference of Ti enthusiasts sometime so I can step back and demonstrate around the room (or rotate my office webcame to the pool on the other side of the glass here). Hmmmm that actually really gets me excited for a new thing we could do in TI....
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-20-2011

cynthiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
Maybe we should do a skype conference of Ti enthusiasts sometime so I can step back and demonstrate around the room (or rotate my office webcame to the pool on the other side of the glass here). Hmmmm that actually really gets me excited for a new thing we could do in TI....
What a great idea!
Old 10-20-2011

Rincewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
My question is academic for personal purposes,
What basis is there for the apparently generally accepted view that the most powerful catch is obtained with a very high elbow?
Nobody mentioned this, but high elbow seems to engage more muscles in your upper back and sides during the pull. I can even feel it in a dry land exercise.
Old 10-20-2011

saadbox13

Quote:
Lawrence-
Maybe we should do a skype conference of Ti enthusiasts sometime so I can step back and demonstrate around the room (or rotate my office webcame to the pool on the other side of the glass here). Hmmmm that actually really gets me excited for a new thing we could do in TI....
Excellent idea! I would suggest a google+ 'hangout' as it allows you to have an unlimited audience for the video conference

keep us posted :)
Old 10-21-2011

TIJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post

What we learn from Sun Yang is that Balance and Streamlining are still far more important than Propulsion.
Terry, while I agree with everything you said before this sentence, I must say I have some reservation regarding Sun Yang as the exemplary swimmer for streamlining. In some of his underwater video shots, when he was kicking hard, I observe some significant twist and bend in his body. I think his feel for the water is fantastic, I heard a commentator pointing to the amount of bubbles caused by his arms being far less than other competitors. By my own (admittedly untrained) observation, it seems that he has a fairly unique strong kick that is quite different from other swimmers and the timing of his kick. I am talking about his 2 or 4 beat kick. His 6 beat kick looks quite standard but very powerful.
Old 10-21-2011

johnny.widen

Quote:
This is a brilliant idea! To discuss it further I started a new thread:

Virtual meetings and virtual coaching

-- Johnny
Old 10-21-2011

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
...Sun Yang setting his 1500m world record of historic stroke efficiency (he advanced the efficiency standard by 13 percent while advancing the time standard by a fraction of 1 percent)...
...What we learn from Sun Yang is that Balance and Streamlining are still far more important than Propulsion.
Though, interestingly, he was more than 2 seconds behind WR pace at 1400m. What happened in the last 100? He ramped up his stroke rate and unleashed a monster kick. In other words, propulsion.
Old 10-21-2011

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim2Bfree View Post
Though, interestingly, he was more than 2 seconds behind WR pace at 1400m. What happened in the last 100? He ramped up his stroke rate and unleashed a monster kick. In other words, propulsion.
But Sun was able to work harder in the last 100m because he'd been swimming 13% more efficiently than the others in the previous 1400m.
Old 10-21-2011

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
But Sun was able to work harder in the last 100m because he'd been swimming 13% more efficiently than the others in the previous 1400m.
First, the 13% "improvement" refers to Grant Hackett, not the others in the race. Second, that number derives, I think, from comparing the average SPL of Hackett and Sun.

I would question the use of SPL - by itself - as a measure of "efficiency." By that measure I would be 100% efficient by kicking the whole length and taking zero strokes. By that measure, as well, swimmers such as David Davies and Janet Evans would be considered relatively "inefficient" swimmers. Which is absurd.