Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2016
ti97

Default 9-year-old boy sets record in choppy Alcatraz swim

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/R...php#item-44548
Old 06-16-2016

gary p

While I admire the kid's talent and perseverance, I question whether anyone should be giving this so called record any publicity. That swim is not without risks for adults, and it seems reckless to encourage younger and younger swimmers to try it. This is they kind of thing that go from "impressive" to "tragedy" very easily.
Old 06-16-2016
ti97

If 9 is too young, then at what age is it OK? And when is it "too old" to try it.

It sure sounds like he had distance training and had OW experience. He also had safety alongside. Most importantly, he had the ambition.

He is a fine example of what determination will accomplish.
Old 06-16-2016

IngeA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
It sure sounds like he had distance training and had OW experience. He also had safety alongside. Most importantly, he had the ambition.
Maybe. Maybe it's the ambition of the parents.
I don't know the boy and the family so I can't judge this, but I've seen many children with very ambitious parents.
Old 06-16-2016

gary p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
If 9 is too young, then at what age is it OK? And when is it "too old" to try it.

He is a fine example of what determination will accomplish.
I didn't say 9 was too young. He made it, so obviously he wasn't too young. Reading the story and what he's done before, he seems like a unique talent for his age. But the headline doesn't say he set any kind of time record, but rather he set a record as the "youngest." I think that's a dangerous record to keep for an endurance event that is a pretty risky endeavor. Where does it stop? An 8 year old? A 7 year old? 6, or 5? Will every kid who's parent puts them in the water to attempt to break this record have the preparation this kid did? Will the responsible adults have the proper appreciation for the fact that the smaller the body, the greater the susceptibility to hypothermia?

As for whether it was the kid's ambition more than the adults, we can't really know what was on his mind and in his heart. What I do know is that the kid isn't quoted once in the article, but the coach and the mom sure bragged.

Last edited by gary p : 06-16-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2016
ti97

this isi what was reported:

"This isn't James' first open-water swim. He completed the one-way trip from the shore to Alcatraz last year, after weeks of begging his parents to allow him do it."

Now I don't always believe the media because they are writing to compete for eyballs and ad money. But I do believe that what happens between a child and the parents are only the business of the family and no one else. The parents know the child better than anyone else.

I'd love to here some of the coaches opinion on this kid's swim.
Old 06-17-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

I don't think it's all that reckless, he learned to swim well, trained frequently in those conditions and great to see this 9 yo that focused on something - especially ow swimming in SF Bay. He would need to swim at least a 2 min 100m pace to swim out to Alcatraz and return to AP before ebb kicks in. They swim to Alcatraz at the end of flood (tide moving in the bay), then slack tide (no current) lasts about 15-20 mins depending on time of year, the ebb begins (bay begins to empty). So not only a great swim, but really good navigation if they got caught in a slight ebb before entering AP (Aquatic Park).

There are swimmers as young as 12 swimming Bridge to Bridge 10k, Golden Gate to Oakland Bay Bridge and are often in the top 10% of finishers. Mini water rockets.

Stuart