Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011

armagh
Default Need Help Learning to Like the Tempo Trainer

Been swimming about 50 years, started self-coached TI a while back and two months ago went to a workshop - which made a world of positive difference. One thing I absolutely can not get used to is that #$@%&* tempo trainer beeping in my head. For me, the water is like home, I love every aspect of it, most of all the quiet peace it provides. Then I put the TT on my goggle strap (don't wear caps unless I have to), turn it on and I feel like I'm doing a "work-out" again, instead of practicing mindful swimming. Am I alone in this? I recognize the value of making peace with the TT so please feel free to offer any ideas/suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2011

dobarton
Default Why are you trying to make peace with TT?

Look, you love swimming. You sound like you love swimming mindfully. Why do you need a tempo trainer?
There are many ways to love swimming and many ways to get better at swimming. They don't all involve a tempo trainer.
A tempo trainer can help you refine where there are weak spots in technique as you set it slower or faster than normal comfort levels.
A tempo trainer can help you gradually get faster as you set the speed and try to keep up stroke length per beep (same SPL).
Lessons in balance, streamline and propulsion do not necessarily require a TT.
I turn mine off for at least 2 out of 3 sessions and either just drill or, better yet, just swim a comfortable easy mile. And, yes, my mile has gotten faster even without the TT.
You don't have to love the TT.
Just my 2 cents, for what they are worth.
Old 07-22-2011

armagh

Thanks for the response. I guess because I believe what I have been told: it is a useful training device that can lead to improved efficiency. That being the case, it seems reasonable to try and get along with the device. I didn't much go for the idea of a power meter on my bike either, but it does have value, and once I got used to it, I benefited. I have the same sense about the TT, but just wondered if others faced a similar adjustment curve.
Old 07-23-2011

westyswoods
Default TT Blues

Armagh,

Just get returned from the pool. I for one know your pain. The TT has not necessarily been my most favorite tool. It has taken, (and still) time to bcome moderately comfortable with it. I received much help from different forum members and it helped greatly.

When I first started I felt a tempo of 1.5 was quick. I am now getting comfortable at 1.3 while working down to 1.2. Tonight I did

2x25
2x50
2x75
2x100

all at 1.3 my rest was not set but when I felt I could complete set holding together.
The 2nd 75 and 2nd 100 broke down.

I then did a single sets of the above with increasing tempo by .02 ending at 100 tempo of 1.22 where I broke down after 50 got back together for the last 25.

I then swam 200 with no tempo trainer playing with switching gears and trying see how I was able to judge.

The above may not make a great deal of sense, it is more to show what I do, as frankly I'm still trying to figure the best way to use it. When viewing video while using the TT there is an obvious smoothing of the stroke.

You are not alone for sure.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 07-24-2011

saadbox13
Default Find your comfort zone

I had the same issues in the beginning, then I realized that without the tempo trainer I started losing focus. It's been very helpful to me to maintain focus and not worry about other swimmers on the other lanes.
Then I discovered two weeks ago that it helped me maintain a calm attitude during an open water swim...:)