Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018
Mushroomfloat

The balance for your legs is on the front side of your hips, loll around on this front side of hips using it as the balance point and you see that the legs stay up and streamlined and youll generate a natural 2bk

As i said originally a pullbuoy between the thighs will show you this.
Old 08-16-2018

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
The balance for your legs is on the front side of your hips, loll around on this front side of hips using it as the balance point and you see that the legs stay up and streamlined and youll generate a natural 2bk

As i said originally a pullbuoy between the thighs will show you this.
If a pullbuoy helps you significantly, it shows you that your body is not naturally balanced.

Some bodies are horribly balance-challenged. For some of us “adult-onset swimmers”, it's never been possible to float. In superman glide, my legs begin to sink after maybe 1 second, even with full lungs. But that's not keeping me from swimming. It just takes us longer to find air when we swim and have the confidence to keep plugging away. I remind myself that Terry often said we swim through the water and not on top of it.

Last edited by novaswimmer : 08-16-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaswimmer View Post
If a pullbuoy helps you significantly, it shows you that your body is not naturally balanced.

Some bodies are horribly balance-challenged. For some of us “adult-onset swimmers”, it's never been possible to float. In superman glide, my legs begin to sink after maybe 1 second, even with full lungs. But that's not keeping me from swimming. It just takes us longer to find air when we swim and have the confidence to keep plugging away. I remind myself that Terry often said we swim through the water and not on top of it.
Yes, agreed
but i found that a certain level "taughness" in the lower abdominals / glutes will give a level body position

but i only discovered that through trying a pullbuoy then i prompty ditched it once i had found the key.

if you dont know what it feels like it'll be hard to "discover" it
Old 08-16-2018
Mushroomfloat

Sternum forward also adds a small bit of a balance point ahead of the lungs which you can also loll around on

get both working in tandem (with a slight bias towards the front, slight corkscrew) and and you'll be moveing really well
Old 08-17-2018
liolio

A piece of my experience. My legs were not really sinking but they were (including the pelvis) slightly to low for my taste.
For me the issue was lake of hips rotation relatively to the torso, so I practice at letting go(rotatte) the pelvis hips as I swam with some speed. Over doing it to some extend helps to findspot the tensions.
Then relaxation + speed got the hips to sync properly on their own (and the kicks).
Still working on it to install it for good but the feel is there, not my biggest focus at the moment, proper breathing is.
Old 08-17-2018
dubdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
Yes, agreed
but i found that a certain level "taughness" in the lower abdominals / glutes will give a level body position

but i only discovered that through trying a pullbuoy then i prompty ditched it once i had found the key.

if you dont know what it feels like it'll be hard to "discover" it
I think I know what you are talking about. Y'day when i felt my legs sink I made a conscious effort to clench my abs, butt and glutes. It did help. It's just that you have to constantly remind yourself to do so, while remembering to do 10 other things just right.

Another thing I noticed was that natural gliding happens as I near the wall. As I sense that the lap is ending, I begin to relax. My hips rotate and I'm able to take one last gasp of breath in an easy manner before I touch the wall. Then, when I go back for another lap, I remind myself that I need to swim like that the whole way but it just doesn't happen until the final 5-7 yards !! There are things that I become aware of such as my sinking legs. I make adjustments to streamline my body and the thought of relaxing goes out the window.

It's frustrating but I'm positive that it will all come together at some point. Two months back I couldn't swim even 3 strokes without having to stand up for breathing. But now I can do 25 yards and sometimes even back to back with a few second break between laps. I'll keep reporting progress. Thanks for all suggestions

Dubdub
Old 08-17-2018
dubdub

I forgot to mention, that with the help of the Rangs, I may have succeeded in zeroing in on when the legs sink. When I start the lap, I push off the wall into a superman glide before I start my strokes. I glide about 5 yards or so and my legs do not sink. With my face still in the water and looking directly below me, I do two strokes, my legs don't sink. Then I take a breath and put face back into the water which is when I can feel my legs sink a little. Then I begin to make adjustments to streamline my body, bring my feet back up over the next two strokes with my face still in water.

I need to video my stroke so I can post here for suggestions. I think it may be the way I turn to breath in and put my face back in the water. The mechanics may be wrong throwing my body off balance.

Dubdub
Old 08-17-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub View Post
I forgot to mention, that with the help of the Rangs, I may have succeeded in zeroing in on when the legs sink. When I start the lap, I push off the wall into a superman glide before I start my strokes. I glide about 5 yards or so and my legs do not sink. With my face still in the water and looking directly below me, I do two strokes, my legs don't sink. Then I take a breath and put face back into the water which is when I can feel my legs sink a little. Then I begin to make adjustments to streamline my body, bring my feet back up over the next two strokes with my face still in water.

I need to video my stroke so I can post here for suggestions. I think it may be the way I turn to breath in and put my face back in the water. The mechanics may be wrong throwing my body off balance.

Dubdub
yes the head lifting or pulling offline will drop the legs instantly, you learn to recover position quicker but the real answer is move the head as little as possible with no lifting
its not easy and i still struggle with this but i know when the legs start to drop so i can recover position very quickly with a snap back down of the face / slight press on the chest etc.

top swimmers minimise breathing because they say it causes too much disruption to the stroke.

There is also "head lead" which is a type of technique where the head breathing and return leads the stroke but that is a whole other story
Old 08-17-2018
Mushroomfloat

Your probably doing what i used to do and thats arcing the head up to the right or left to breathe, do you feel it in you mid spine? Like your spine is banana'ing?

that then drops your legs like a stone and you need to recover position by rushing your face back down.

turn the head in a longitudinal manner along the central axis in time with the rythmn of the stroke

watch shelly ripple here
Old 08-17-2018
Mushroomfloat

https://youtu.be/rCga-UiIjSA