Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2017
vhrk

Default Alternative to Finis Tempo Trainer

I have been wanting to buy the Finis Tempo Trainer for quite a while. What is stopping me is the reviews I am reading on Amazon. These devices seem to be notoriously unreliable. They either come with dead batteries or last for a very short time.

So, I am wondering whether there is an alternative to this TT?

Or is it worth the risk to go ahead and buy the Finis TT?
Old 09-14-2017

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Some swimmers have found a waterproof MP3 player with earbuds as an alternative to a Finis Tempo Timer.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...read.php?t=749

The only problem is finding a reliable waterproof MP3 player with earbuds that won’t fall out while swimming.

The cost of a waterproof MP3 player with earbuds is also considerably more expensive than a Finis Tempo Timer.
Old 09-17-2017

sclim

I have been using a tempo trainer for 4 years now. Absolutely no unreliability issues. I have had 2. One was without a replaceable battery. I stopped using it because I was afraid it would die just when I needed it. (Now thinking about it, it would be no worse than what I'm doing now with the more advanced one. I still would need to go home that day and replace the battery before it would work again). But the battery seems to be lasting for ever.

I have broken the clip that holds the TT to my goggles -- maybe I was too rough clipping and unclipping (to change the timing values), but my swim store had a whole bag full of replacement clips for me to buy from.

It works, it is reliable, and it does the trick for less cost than an MP3 player, and it is specially designed for the task, so it works easily in use.

If you bought one with a replaceable battery and it was dead when you bought it, it's annoying, but at worst, the fix is the cost of a coin cell.
Old 10-20-2017

CoachDebSagan

Have been using them for several years as well. I had a 'blue one' Version one, which lasted for years, and just quit working, so I got a couple of yellow ones, which have worked fine. I keep a couple of batteries around, in case I need them, they seem to go out once in a while!

Haven't found a replacement for the TT. Anything that is exposed to the water and is electronic is a little touchy! But it has been faithful little tool!
good luck. let us know how it goes once you get one. they are on sale now and then.

Coach Deb Sagan
Pittsburgh, PA
Old 10-27-2017
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Been using a TT trainer for years. As with any electronic device they will eventually fail. I've had reliability success using one them. Worth the $30.00 investment. I actually dropped one in my garbage disposal once and it continued working for sometime:-)
Old 07-31-2018
rami999

Google it,, lol