Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013

ronnier
Default Chlorine Allergy

My Allergist told me I had a allergy to chlorine. Also said chlorine is a deterrent cause it's a harsh chemical. Is there any indoor pools in the USA I can move to that has 85 to 90 degree water to teach and swim in. I have checked out the copper/silver ion systems and there maybe some public pools with this system and they keep their chlorine level low. Thanks to anyone that can give me some help....
Old 03-23-2013

Janos

Ronnier, chlorine is a poisonous chemical. You cannot develop an allergy to it. I would guess that your pool is probably over chlorinated and you are sensitive to it...like I am, in local council pool!
There may be underlying issues here, and maybe you should be discussing it with a doctor rather than an allergist? If it is any consolation, you do learn to tolerate it with more exposure. Not sure if that is a good thing though! I see a guy regularly swimming in chlorinated pool with no goggles on, with eyes open and it does not affect him. My eyes would be red for a week. :-)
Also, if you are drilling, and swimming slowly, you can ingest a bit of water, and have some up your nose, that can irritate delicate lining.

Janos
Old 03-23-2013

Richardsk

A few years ago I consulted a pharmacist about what I thought was a chlorine allergy. He told me that it was not an allergy but that chlorine was an irritant and advised me to wash out my sinuses with water after swimming. I tried this and also the Indian practice of neti dhauti (rinsing the sinuses with salt water) and these certainly helped, but I have found that the best solution is a nose clip. At first I disliked the nose clip intensely but gradually got used to it and sometimes I almost forget that I am wearing one.

I never wear a nose clip when swimming in a competition and because the races do not last very long, as a rule, and perhaps because the competition pools have a better quality of water than the pool I train in, I do not suffer severe after effects.

Much of the problem with chlorinated pools is the build up of chloramines, or so I read on the Internet, formed from the interaction of chlorine and organic substances in the water.

Have you tried a nose clip, and/or nasal irrigation?
Old 03-27-2013

ronnier

I do neti pot and that helps. I also use a thick therapy lotion after swim to help the burning skin. Can you test for chloramines or is this call free chrloine Rickard? This week the pool hasn't burn my skin at all. I'm trying phytoceramides in pill form and this maybe helping also. I'm staying in pool longer to tolerate it with more exposure so thanks Janos . Thank you both for ur input.

Ronnie
Old 08-14-2013

katrin_gfd

Is there any product that will treat this allergy once and for all?

Last edited by katrin_gfd : 08-14-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-18-2013

tamtam140.6

My mom (a swimming teacher) suffered from a similar issue. She would break out into a horrible rash for days after being in the pool. Besides switching to a salt-chlorination system, she found a topical skin barrier that seemed to keep her skin from being affected by the chemicals. I'm not sure that the allergy itself can be cured, but maybe something like this would help? Not sure where it's available in the US anymore...
http://www.aquagear.com/dermaguard-skin-protector/
Old 12-20-2013

Jose Williamson

Mostly those people who are have sensitive body parts specially their skin. There are many home remedies for dealing with chlorine allergy. But I think the best solution is calling the emergency. Because there are many things which can effect on patient.

Last edited by Jose Williamson : 12-23-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2013

PanamaRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnier View Post
. Is there any indoor pools in the USA I can move to that has 85 to 90 degree water to teach and swim in. .
North Myrtle Beach SC has a real nice salt water pool. I do not recall the water temp, but I was comfortable while in it for over an hour.

They had a very active Masters Swim Group. They trained every day!

I wonder if you can swim faster in a salt pool?
Old 03-05-2014

EdwardWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Williamson View Post
Mostly those people who are have sensitive body parts specially their skin. There are many home remedies for dealing with chlorine allergy. But I think the best solution is calling the emergency. Because there are many things which can effect on patient.
I don't think that it's possible to address such needs to a doctor every time. Sometimes it's easier to take some treatment on your own. Of course, we should be careful while choosing related products.

Last edited by EdwardWilson : 03-05-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2014

seamless
Default chronic systemic inflammation and fatigue

In a post by Terry 2013 (Terry's 50m Pool Practices Summer 2013
) he mentioned he was suffering from chronic systemic inflammation and fatigue.

Can Terry or anyone else fill me in on the symptoms please?

Thank You

Iain