Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013

CSLEE
Default growth and excessive training

Will excessive swimming training retard the growth of young swimmers (before-puberty)? Logical thought is if most (if not all)of the nutrition required for physical growth has been channelled to sustain the excessive or even over-training, then the kids could remain short and petite for their age.
How true it is?
Old 04-02-2013

gdmv77 has disabled reputation

It really depends on the word "excessive." Excessive training for anything by anyone can result in the body being unable to repair and remodel to keep up with the demands tearing it down or using up energy sources. It will not stop their bodies from growing, but they will require more food to compensate. In fact children who engage in physical activities on a regular basis will be well ahead of their peers in almost every category, including the smarts department. Plenty of studies have proven this.

Think of it this way - it isn't the activity itself, or even an abundance of it that stunts growth, it is a lack of nutrition coupled with incorrect programming of the activity. After studying athletes the world over (female gymnasts are a great example of this), almost all athletes I've studied who were "stunted" were so because their nutrition needs were not met, along with improper programming of their training. Luckily this paradigm has changed over the years and you see stronger athletes with better nutrition.

Coaches and parents should be mindful to allow children to rest when necessary, and ensure adequate nutrition along with proper programming for training activities. Luckily swimming unlike land sports doesn't have the drastic jarring forces upon joints and bones, and very little risk for injury when properly supervised (drowning is always a risk which I'll touch on later).

In fact, swimming teaches them many of the things they should be focusing on for their age, namely balance and coordination. Along with aerobic and anaerobic fitness, swimming is a great "play workout" for children, and heck adults as well. While children won't get as much into the mindfullness that an adult will, proper technique learned early removes the need to retrain later on in life.

Additionally, one of the highest killers (ranked 5th overall by the CDC) is unintentional drowning (and is number 2 behind car crashes for kids ages 1-14). Swimming is a life skill which in my opinion should be emphasied for children (as a father of a 4 year old, my son is in the pool as much as possible practicing essentials such as floating and moving himself through the water).

You asked the time and I built a watch, but I hope this helps to answer the question and give some insight! Properly programmed training coupled with excellent nutrition will help any child advance.
Old 04-03-2013
Coach

CoachBobM

Another point to consider is that the pituitary gland secretes growth hormone in response to exercise, and in people whose long bone growth is not yet complete, this can actually result in an increase in stature.

Once long bone growth is complete, the GH release helps to increase lean body mass, though it no longer results in an increase in stature. Unfortunately, the amount of GH released in response to both exercise and sleep decreases dramatically between your mid-20s and your 40s, which is one of the reasons it becomes harder to build lean body mass as you get older. A typical 65-year-old only releases about 1/7 as much GH in response to exercise as does a 25-year-old.

Bob
Old 04-03-2013

MarkkuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmv77 View Post
Additionally, one of the highest killers (ranked 5th overall by the CDC) is unintentional drowning (and is number 2 behind car crashes for kids ages 1-14). Swimming is a life skill which in my opinion should be emphasied for children (as a father of a 4 year old, my son is in the pool as much as possible practicing essentials such as floating and moving himself through the water).
Here in Sweden learning to swimming (breaststroke) is mandatory in the school.
Old 07-23-2013

katrin_gfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmv77 View Post
It really depends on the word "excessive..."
I strongly agree with this. Duration and frequency of such exercises for young boys and girls should be controlled in order not to cause serious harm to their health.
Old 04-26-2014

Leroy005

The young swimmer should take proper diet and nutrition along with the swimming training for their better growth and fitness. If they take the proper diet and nutrition then swimming training can't affect their growth.

Last edited by Leroy005 : 04-26-2014 at 10:16 AM.