Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009

gogglesnoseplugs

Ok... So I was reluctant to do the bobbing drill because it is something I already had comfort doing in the past, but when I actually did that I started playing some games to see if I might be comfortable without any air. That definitely helped me. I could not help to try the Bowl Drill once I got comfortable with the water. I have run into a problem that I seem to not be able to overcome. I am slowly breathing out of my nose as I rotate to get the next breath in the freestyle breathing, but I am getting water up my nose even though I am exhaling all the way up to get my next breath. I do not know why this is happening or what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
I am slowly breathing out of my nose as I rotate to get the next breath in the freestyle breathing, but I am getting water up my nose even though I am exhaling all the way up to get my next breath.
Not unusual. Make sure you aren't tilting your nose up (in the direction you are travelling). Also, exhale a little more forcefully as your nose reaches the surface. I think it's less likely to happen when you are moving faster.
Old 03-12-2009

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
Ok... I am slowly breathing out of my nose as I rotate to get the next breath in the freestyle breathing, but I am getting water up my nose even though I am exhaling all the way up to get my next breath. I do not know why this is happening or what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Are you sure ?? When you say all the way up do you mean through to the surface to the air BEFORE there's even the slightest unconscious reflex of inhaling ? When you swim even if you exhale a slight amount as you roll to air and are clear of the surface where the air is water should not go in your nose . It's all in your breathing pattern , guaranteed.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 03-12-2009 at 12:32 AM.