Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009

Lloyd

my swim buddy has delicate skin. She uses olive oil on her face after swimming.
Old 04-14-2009

Floater

I used to have terrible dry skin until I switched to using old fashioned lye soap. I've tried all sorts of commercial body washes, moisturizing bars, etc. The problem is the commercial stuff is made out of detergents, even they call it soap it is actually a detergent bar, which can be irritating to some people. I'd suggest trying hand made real soap ( from lye and fats/oils ), and try that out for a week. You can generally get them online or at farmers markets or craft markets. A friend of mine uses Dr. Bronner's, and I think she gets it from Walgreens.

I also use a wash cloth and soap it up then use that in the shower. It seems to get more chlorine off my skin than just use the soap alone.

Then follow up with a fragrance free skin lotion that has glycerin as an ingredient. Glycerin attracts moisture from the air.
Old 05-10-2009

ronnier
Default Salt Water Chlorinator

Thank you RadSwim,, I tried a Salt Water Chlorinator pool in Columbia SC and I loved it. My skin didn't burn or itch. I tried it on week twice and had good results because it was a 1&1/2 hour drive and last week I tried it a week. Only one problem was they had a accident in the pool and had to shock with chemical chlorine so I burned for one day. The Aquatic Director was nice enough to explain it was hard to keep public salt water pools just salt water and no chem chlorine. I still had the best time the other five days. Even got ask what kind of technique I was swimming "cause it was pretty", I was glad to tell them the TI way and gave them info.
Thinking of getting me a swim spa that I can use a salt water system. Endless pool won't warranty the pool if I use salt chlorine. If anyone knows a swim spa company that uses the endless type let me know.

Ronnie R
Old 05-11-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Actually...

The shower before swimming DOES refer to the safety of others. It's not that you'll get infected, but deoderant, grease, makeup, and hair spray do a lot to mess with the chemical balance in a pool. When we got tough on enforcing these policies, it mae a significant difference in my underwater filming and my shutdown scrubbing.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 05-12-2009

RadSwim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnier View Post
Thank you RadSwim,, If anyone knows a swim spa company that uses the endless type let me know.

Ronnie R
You are welcome. Glad to be of service.

SwimEx uses an ozonator for swim spa sanitation. I have never used this brand of swim spa, but it would be my first choice to test if I decide to buy one.

http://www.swimex.com/

RadSwim
Old 05-14-2009

Lloyd
Default breathing issues

Does any one else have trouble with the chorine/bromine causing nasal conjestion during and for up to 24 hrs after swimming? I experience severely reduced breathing capacity through my nose after swimming. Almost complete obstruction. Is there any remedy?
Old 05-14-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Does any one else have trouble with the chorine/bromine causing nasal conjestion during and for up to 24 hrs after swimming? I experience severely reduced breathing capacity through my nose after swimming. Almost complete obstruction. Is there any remedy?
Have you tried using a neti pot?
Old 05-15-2009

elskbrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
...deoderant, grease, makeup, and hair spray do a lot to mess with the chemical balance in a pool. When we got tough on enforcing these policies, it mae a significant difference in my underwater filming and my shutdown scrubbing.
I have noticed that my fair skin fares much better when I wear body lotion before and after swimming. Without it, I am sometimes beet red after an hour in the water. Now I feel guilty about the lotion as it helps explain why the pool sometimes has water that clouds up the goggles if it was not recently cleaned.
Old 05-16-2009

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Lloyd,

About 3 hours after pool time I become congested and sneezing as if I picked up a cold. This can last for maybe 2 or even 3 days. If bad enough I give into to using nasal sprays. Haven't gone the neti pot route yet.

Mike
Old 05-16-2009

Rhoda

Squirting salt water up into the sinuses after swimming works for some people. You can buy nasal saline solution bottles at any drug store.