Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009

ronnier
Default Dry Burning Skin

I'm swimming every day and also teach 2 times a week (had to cut back due to dry skin). I seen a skin doctor about my problem and said to change clothes detg, wash w/senitive skin soap, using Ammonium Lactate lotion and now due to my skin burning and feeling tight I'm using Eucerin Plus Healing lotion as much as possible and had to cut back on swimming all together. Can anyone help me ? I know there are swimmers and coaches in the water more than I and what do you do to keep from having this problem. At first to pool I go to was keeping there chlorine @ 5ppm but this problem is better now they have a automatic type. Coaches that have the Endless pools are you having this problem also or is it the chemicals in the public pool making it worst. Thank you for helping if you can relate to this problem...Thank God for TI.

Ronnie
Old 02-12-2009

Rhoda

Here in Calgary where it gets dryer than the Sahara on cold winter days (literally), we've learned to apply lotions and creams immediately after showering when the skin is still slightly damp. This seals the moisture in.
Some creams that have worked for me are: Glaxal Base cream, George's Dry Skin cream (that one might only be available in western Canada), and the Body Butter series of creams from the Body Shop. Lotions are somewhat less effective. A small paint roller might help you with getting the stuff onto parts of your back that you can't reach.
Another thing you might try is to use skin lotion to wash with instead of soap. I haven't tried this myself, but I'm told it works well. Just be careful not to slip on the tiles if you get any on the soles of your feet.
Old 02-13-2009

RadSwim
Default Try salt/chlorine if you can

Our pool converted for chlorine to salt/chlorine system 4 years ago. I has made an enormous difference, reducing both skin dryness and eczema. My eczema returns with a vengeance when I am out of town and swim in a chlorine sanitized pool. If there is a salt/chlorine pool in your area, give it a try.

Good luck,
RadSwim
Old 02-16-2009

samenic2
Default Dry itchy skin

Its probably old hat to many swimmers but a tip l was given at my first TI lesson, to combat swim-skin related problems,was to have a water shower and get really wet before getting in the pool.The pores of your skin fill up and form a barrier discouraging chlorine etc.. from affecting the skin surface.Works every time.
Old 02-16-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by samenic2 View Post
Its probably old hat to many swimmers but a tip l was given at my first TI lesson, to combat swim-skin related problems,was to have a water shower and get really wet before getting in the pool.The pores of your skin fill up and form a barrier discouraging chlorine etc.. from affecting the skin surface.Works every time.
Really?! I heard that about hair, but not skin.

Until now I was doubting that it helped. I started to think that hair would absorb as much chlorinated water as before, only faster, like a damp sponge picks up spills more easily than a dry sponge.

(I guess I will rinse myself down every time now. I usually only shower first if I didn't just come from home where I just had a shower. There is also the added benefit of getting a chill so that the cool pool feels relatively warmer.)
Old 02-17-2009

Folala

I have to agree with Samenic on this one. Your skin is at its most absorbent when it is dry, it's up to you whether it's going to be the shower water or the pool water. Once the skin has absorbed some moisture, it tends to keep it and prevent further build up.

I always drenched myself under a shower before going in. It's more hygienic for everyone too.
Old 02-25-2009

dwdvagamundo
Default "Health Codes Require You to Shower. . ."

Agree with Salmenic. The sign that says "health codes require you to shower before using the pool" refers to your health, not those who might get into the pool after use by unshowered persons. If it were the latter, we'd all probably be infected, as so few heed this warning.

BTW--it also helps with getting more life from swim wear on same principal as wetting hair before getting into the pool
Old 02-25-2009

ronnier
Default Doing that shower thing....

Guys, before I go into the pool I shower off that is a must. That is not the problem, it is sensitive skin issues here and if you can relate with this post please reply if not please don't guess. I'm referring to swimmers that are in the water everyday for hours through the week and what they use to keep their skin moisturized. Cold weather teaching in a warmer pool have effects washing your body oils out ect... It may be to much of a hygienic topic to talk about and better to talk to my dermatologist but he nor his assistants swim or teach swimming so they can't relate.

Thanks, Ronnie
Old 03-14-2009

ronnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnier View Post
Guys, before I go into the pool I shower off that is a must. That is not the problem, it is sensitive skin issues here and if you can relate with this post please reply if not please don't guess. I'm referring to swimmers that are in the water everyday for hours through the week and what they use to keep their skin moisturized. Cold weather teaching in a warmer pool have effects washing your body oils out ect... It may be to much of a hygienic topic to talk about and better to talk to my dermatologist but he nor his assistants swim or teach swimming so they can't relate.

Thanks, Ronnie
Where are local pools that have Chlorine Generators (salt chlorine). I would like to try one out to see if this helps.
Old 03-16-2009

wavelengths
Default Lotion applicator

"A small paint roller might help you with getting the stuff onto parts of your back that you can't reach."

Try this for applying lotion to your back:

http://www.backbliss.com/lotion-applicator/

I've used it for years and it works.