Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbarden View Post
My guess is that spending extra time practicing, or as Terry says "imprinting," the proper positions with feet on bottom, before actually swimming, will help you a lot.

Good luck. Let us know how you progress.
Ah, that is something shown in the new DVD that I forgot about. Rehearsing movements. Personally, I "swim" in my living room. Drives my wife mad, especially when I get into an intense set, or actually begin moving forward. haha

I, too, am interested in hearing how training progresses. In the meantime, I'll be trying to get my body to cooperate as well.
Old 02-26-2009

gogglesnoseplugs

Progress is not going so well. I still am fighting with the water, so I decided to start at the beginning basics after a suggestion from someone else to get more comfortable in the water. I am starting with finding my "sweet spot" but am not doing so well with that. I mentioned this in another thread titled, "Sweet Spot." I'll keep you posted...
Old 02-27-2009

madvet
Default Sweet spot importance

I believe Terry has advocated lessening the importance of sweet spot as a goal early on. The skating type drills and then the switch drills are in a way more important to whole stroke mechanics.

Not to dismiss the value of sweet spot, but if you don't have good balance, the rotation can really throw you off. And for you this may especially be a problem due to your assymetry. You can use a less rotated side breath to substitute for sweet spot.

Trying to "master" sweet spot early on has been a major stumbling blocks for quite a few and the suggestion has always been to move on to other things.
Old 02-27-2009

gogglesnoseplugs

That makes sense... I'll put the sweet spot on the back burner for now. Hopefully I can work with a coach one-on-one sometime soon to actually assess an accurate progress.