Old 04-20-2016
ti97

that is a great video!!!
Old 05-25-2016
lanphuong0493@gmail.com

it really interesting!
Old 12-15-2016
liolio

I tried to do the same. It is interesting to swim as i notice that I was sticking to some people that were doing twice the amount of movements.
I'm considering something else at the moment, an approach not meant for sprint that would leverage a whole body ondulation, whip kick and tiny arm sweep (snaky? I mean those to move are clearly different, close but different) than the breathing.

It is interesting as you have to be in a different pace (heart and breathing) than front crawling. You are to breath slightly less so as a result the energy put into the whip then the dolphin kick and the arm sweep as to be well though out to be sustainable.

The movement really start with the arm movement and the breathing. I'm toying with a pretty small movement which recover create few drag and create some amount of elevation (not too high one could be side breathing if it wants). From there, some of the potential energy won through the height is pass into the movement through a proper head movement. It is pretty snaky but somehow as few as possible you don't energy to get diffused in up/down movement and you want to cut the water as clean and relaxed as possible.
Then while entering streamline I will a conservative and compact whip kick, then a conservative dolphin kick (not full body movement) meant to maintain the speed. Then comes the arm sweep and breathing which as I said earlier is done with with a focus on leveraging the energy stored in the head. Somehow the arm (sweep), head (breathing), going into streamline are done into a pretty snaky manner which I find make the recovery for the whip kick fell more natural less draggy and less demanding. As your body flexes slightly when the "wave" reach your knee you finish the recovery till your ready for the whip kick.
As I said not too much ondulation, actually as few as possible while keeping thing smooth. Then you want to be really flat and streamlined after the kick, then the dolphin kick which ends into a full body snaky movement for the arm action and breathing all the while it help to prepare the whip kick.

May be a good drill would be whip kick -> Snaky -> whip kick, etc. as it helps to feel how the whip kick preparation can blend into the end on the snacky movement.
The other drill that works along that would be to blend the arm and head movement into the sneaky movement. Some TI videos shows that but that movement get lost once you either "proper" breaststroke or butterfly. I see a lot of people that enter the water really wrong at the pool.
The strength the whip kick has set the straight into streamline but there is a massive loss of momentum. It is obvious when you replace the whip kick by a dolphin kick or full body snaky move if you are entering the water (head and arms) right. If you dont the kick will hardly get you straight with few momentum.

I'm toying around... I wonder if the dolphin kick is worse it. I lack hard chronometric data to confront my perception and feeling.

As for the video, you get high out of the water but if you look closely you will see that the energy stored into your upper body goes "nowhere". It is like a "door" the lower part height does not change but as a whole your torse and head fall back into line with that height. Dosing so I suspect you push water in forward killing momentum.
Other than that I like your dive and following streamline, really nice :)
Old 12-17-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

I had an experience at a swim meet a number of years ago in which I was standing behind the starting blocks waiting for my event and had an unusually close view of the final heat of a breaststroke event (the participants in the final heat are the ones with the fastest seed times). I was awe-struck watching the stroke of the swimmer who came in first. It was clear to me that what he was doing in the water was creating a lot less drag than what the other swimmers were doing.

Of course, watching this didn't make me any faster at breaststroke. If it did, we could stop doing Total Immersion workshops and lessons and just sell high definition videos of Olympic gold medalists swimming their strokes. If you want to get faster, the first step is to identify what the faster swimmers are doing differently, and the second step is to figure out how to train yourself to do those same things.

Some focal points I've found helpful are:
1) Finish each cycle with your nose pointed down. Some swimmers want to look forward all the time, and this prevents them from ever streamlining their bodies.

2) Look down when breathing. This keeps you from raising your head too much when breathing, and also forces you to judge when you're approaching the wall by watching the line on the bottom of the pool instead of by lifting your head.

3) Extend your arms fully at the end of each stroke cycle. This strives for the same goal as the first point, but in a different way.

4) Finish your kick in a streamline. Here, we address the other end of your body: When you're not kicking, you want your legs to be straight and together, with your toes pointed in line with your legs.

5) Heels before toes. This addresses the first part of your kick (what I like to call the "paddle kick" because you are using the insides of your feet as paddles): Trying to kick your heels back faster than your toes helps to make you spread your toes as far apart as possible.

6) Do narrow arm recoveries. One of the inherent reasons why breaststroke is slower than the other strokes is because you are required to recover your arms with at least your elbows in the water. So a key to minimizing drag is making those recoveries as narrow as possible.

7) Don't drop your knees. If you are doing breaststroke kicks on your back, your knees shouldn't break the surface of the water. When a jet airplane lands, there are panels on the wing that are raised to brake the plane. Dropping your knees when you're swimming breaststroke does the same thing (except that you don't want to brake yourself).

8) Focus on moving forward. This calls upon your brain to draw upon all of the neural habits you've been practicing in the preceding focal points and translate them into forward motion.

Bob
Old 12-19-2016
liolio

Thank you for the insights and advice Bob :)
Old 02-03-2017
ScoopUK

It seems that just like in freestyle there is diminishing returns in making your stroke super long and it instead becomes a hypoxic underwater swim similar to combat swimmer stroke (which is great fun to play with by the way). CSS probably has the lowest stroke rate.

Long stroke combat swim stroke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctpfSa-gthk

CSS with breaststroke kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeS0W--PGIw
(swimmer has some fidgety nervous unnecessary flutter kicks in there that shouldn't be)