Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014

sponnyson
Default Improve my breaststroke?

how do i improve my breaststroke! i am on JV yet i spin the breaststroke plus my dates are normally about 1:40 for the 100 breaststroke. i experience that is sinful however how do i have more i rehearse many the date amid reel rehearse moreover. demand part big assist cuz i need to spin breaststroke for varsity nezt year also.

Old 06-10-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

That's a pretty broad question, considering that we haven't seen your breaststroke. But here are some things to check:

Get Every Pool Length Off To a Good Start

- Come off the blocks (on the first length) or off the wall (in subsequent lengths) in a tight streamline, hand over hand, wrist over wrist, with your arms pressed tightly against the back of your ears, toes pointed in line with your legs, feet just far enough apart to keep you from rotating about the axis of your spine.

- Don't be in a hurry to break out of your streamline! Breaststroke is inherently slower than the other competitive strokes, so it is advantageous to stay in a streamline longer than for the other strokes.

- Make sure your body is horizontal when you streamline. If you're doing it correctly, your shoulders and hips should surface at the same moment.

- When you feel yourself starting to slow, immediately do your pulldown. Drop your forearms and stroke all the way down to your hips. You should feel like you're pushing past the water as you do this.

- Recover your arms forward, sliding them against your abdomen as you bring your ankles and feet forward in preparation for your first kick. If you actually feel your hands sliding over your abdomen and chest, this is a good sign that you are keeping them close enough to your body to minimize drag.

- As you are spearing your arms forward into full extension, initiate your kick, ending with your toes pointed in line with your legs, as before. You should feel that your body is soaring forward as you complete your kick.

Stroking Efficiently

There is no stroke where it is more important to minimize drag than breaststroke! Unlike freestyle and backstroke, where you can maintain a fairly streamlined position all the time, breaststroke requires that you keep breaking out of your streamline to add back some momentum. So it is important to make sure that your upper body returns to a streamlined position at the end of each armstroke, and that your lower body returns to a streamlined position at the end of each kick.

Here are some focal points that should help you to do this:

- Make sure that you end each armstroke with your head between your arms and your nose pointing at the bottom of the pool. You want to end each armstroke with your head in the same neutral position you use for freestyle.

- Make sure that you end each armstroke with your arms extended all the way forward.

- Keep looking down in the middle of your armstroke, when your head is coming up to breathe. Looking down will encourage you to bring your head up as little as possible. Determine when you are approaching the end of the lane by looking at the line on the bottom - not by looking forward!

- Focus on recovering your arms forward as narrowly as you can. Try to feel as though you are making your arms into a needle as you slide them forward.

- When you are bringing your feet forward in preparation for a kick, you should feel that you are bringing them forward within the wake that is following the cylindrical path your body is cutting through the water. Don't drop your thighs, since this will create a lot of drag!

- During the first part of the kick, try to feel as though the heels of your feet are kicking back faster than your toes. This will encourage you to spread your toes far enough that the insides of your ankles can catch the water.

- Make sure you finish each kick with your toes pointed in line with your legs. You should feel your body soaring forward as you complete each kick.

- Focus on feeling each stroke and kick cycle propel you forward as much as possible.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Last edited by CoachBobM : 06-10-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2014

daveblt

Just to add: The pull is basically a sculling motion . Don't pull back too far under your body. The pull should only go back as far as your chin or neck before recovery.The hands should face out as you sweep and face back as you pull.

Dave