Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008

weinzwei
Default Breathing Help

Can anyone help me with understanding how to transition from Stop-Stop-Switch / interupted breathing to actually swimming? The TI method is great i attended the 2 day workshop and was very impressed with the TI method. I spend about 10 hours a week in the pool working on the drills but i have been unable to add breathing. Everything falls apart? Please help!!!
Old 11-26-2008

naj
Default Re: Breathing

weinzwei, one thing you might try is the nodding drill that Coach Terry talks about in the Easy-Freestyle DVD. Start from a head down position then when you rotate turn your head with the rotation; first 45 degrees, then 50 degrees and then try 90 degrees, at that point your left or right side should be out far enough so you can catch a quick bite of air (IMPORTANT NOTE! Inhale through your mouth and not your nose!)

I only say all this because I've been where you are and to be honest with you it has only been recently that I have been able to breathe and not interrupt my rhythm. I hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2008
Coach

CoachBobM

You can think of regular breathing as being like an aborted roll to your sweet spot.

First, make sure you are exhaling underwater before you roll to breathe. When you're rolling to your sweet spot, there's time to both exhale and inhale, but in regular breathing there isn't time to do both, and you won't be able to inhale if your lungs are still full of air.

Second, make sure that you are using your body roll to bring your nose and mouth to the air, regardless of whether you are going to your sweet spot or doing regular breathing. If you are doing triple-switch drills, your nose should stay pointed at the bottom during the first two switches, but your head should roll with your body during the third switch, as though someone has superglued a connecting rod between your shoulder and your chin. (When you're doing the triple-switch drills, you can remember this by thinking "one, two, superglue.")

Third, start experimenting with how far you actually need to roll to get air. Terry did an article on breathing for Total Swim back in 2005:

http://archive.totalimmersion.net/20...breathing.html

and I think the pictures in it are as important as what he said. Notice, in particular, how Terry is able to breathe without even rotating all the way onto his side, let alone to his sweet spot. Roll only far enough to quickly fill your lungs, then recover your arm and point your nose back at the bottom.

Bob
Old 11-26-2008

weinzwei

Thank you, i will try again today!
Old 11-26-2008

weinzwei

Thanks Bob, i am doing triple switch drills alot. I thought that i was suppose to always roll to breath. I find my self taking big gulps of water somtimes when i breath or when i get a clean inhale i have a sensation that i am moving up and down like i am in big waves. The pictures and the article helps. I will try your suggestions in the pool today!!!

Jon
Old 11-26-2008

weinzwei

Bob, I tried your advice this afternoon and it went very well. I was able to finish a few lengths of the pool without rolling to sweet spot. I am still avg about 24 SPL in 37 seconds. This is about what i was averaging before TI. I assume the SPL will eventually come down? Right now i am breathing every other stroke and not kicking. I feel very relaxed and smooth, just very slow!!! This may sound like a funny question but is there any cues for me to think about that will help me determine if i am just duplicating my old stroke or actually swimming via Ti? Thanks!

Jon