Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011

gladtobedifferent
Default YIpee!!

Ok - so didnt manage a mile - but I did do a kilometre all in one go !! Gone from 18 lengths as my one off longest ever to 40 lengths in 25m pool. The last few lengths I could feel it harder as more swimmers joined the pool, and two of the men cut me up at the turns.

Think doing the push offs really helped me believe I could go further, and it was unlike Friday in that I got to 12 lenghts, thought ok do 16, then thought ok can do at least 2 more than my 18 previous best. Got to 20 and thought I felt ok so kept going and got to 30 and thought must be able to do 32 (800), and then at 36 only 4 left to get to the 1km mark.

I am sooooooooo happy cannot tell you.

Averaged 27 strokes per length, but know it was a lot better at the start than at the end. Also, as I increase my distances my average stroke rate does not get worse, which means I am getting better.

Also only breathed to one side. And every 2 strokes - which I hate as i swim much better when breathing every 4. Its the catch with the right arm when I am breathing to the left that is truely horrible !! Focused today on at least doing a partial catch with the right arm rather than just letting is go through the water.

Tomorrow night will practise in blocks of 200s and 100s - usually I only do 1 8x25, but will try and do more 8 length blocks and focus on getting my stroke count per length down a bit.

So happy - off to have my treat - a bag of malteasers !!!
Old 08-22-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Next Try Tempo Trainer

The Tempo Trainer has been so helpful for improving every other measure of swimming - stroke efficiency, 'easy speed' -- that I think why not distance capacity. Since I've already swum 20+ miles at one go on several occasions I can no longer test this thesis myself. Perhaps some one else will and give the rest of us a 'report from the front.'

Here's a suggested test protocol:

1) If you are currently struggling a bit to swim a shorter distance - say 100 to 200m with ease and consistent stroke count-- try swimming that distance with small increases in tempo. E. G. Test yourself @ 1.30, 1.33, 1.36, etc, until you find a tempo that allows you to complete a formerly-fatiguing swim feeling relatively fresh.
2) Once you find that tempo, add 25 to 50 percent to your swim distance (e.g. from 200 to 250 or 300) at your 'easy' tempo.
3) Evaluate. Is your SPL staying constant? Do you still feel as fresh? If so add some more distance at that tempo. If not, slow tempo another .03 or more and test again at that distance.
4) Keep making small adjustments -- increasing distance and decreasing tempo as needed -- to maintain a state of relative ease, efficiency, and freshness.
5) When you reach a 'landmark' distance -- could be a kilometer, could be a mile -- stay at that distance for a while and begin patiently increasing tempo by even smaller increments - .02 or .01.

This process could take weeks or months, but would certainly provide invaluable -- and completely personal/individualized/empirical -- self-knowledge.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-22-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladtobedifferent View Post
Averaged 27 strokes per length, but know it was a lot better at the start than at the end. Also, as I increase my distances my average stroke rate does not get worse, which means I am getting better.
Glad
I share your elation over swimming a 'landmark' distance. Now here's a suggestion for how to use that experience to improve your skill even as you increase distance.

The Protestant Work Ethic that so strongly pervades the Culture of Swimming encourages us to push through pain barriers as coaches put it, to ignore pain and fatigue and push onward.

That works out better on terra firma than in the water, where even small movement errors bring massive energy penalties. When it feels a lot better at the start than at the end, then struggling skills are likely getting more of a chance, than tireless-swimming skills, to implant in muscle memory. And as I noted in this blog, increasing Stroke Rate is effortless. Increasing (or even holding) Stroke Length is exacting.

Try the Tempo-governed approach I recommend above.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-22-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2011

gladtobedifferent
Default Thanks Terry

Will definately order a tempo trainer

thanks
gtbd