Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2014
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Thought Experiment: Design a new Swim Magazine

I've been thinking about starting a web-based publication for people who are love swimming as a lifestyle--far beyond a narrow interest in speed.
Virtually all existing swim publications are intended for (1) speed-oriented swimmers; and (2) those under age 20--missing a huge part of the community of swimmers. I personally gain a great deal from swimming for performance and enjoy participating in events--some of which are races.
But my ideal publication would emphasize quality of experience, satisfying one's curiosity about how things work, swimming in the service of aging healthfully--in general how swimming can be a central part of a life well lived.
Also, the existing publications mostly contribute to and validate a vast amount of misinformation or 'mistaken orthodoxy' about swimming. (In my less-guarded moments, I call it 'nonsense.' Oops, cat out of bag.)
Surely there should be at least one that is a reliable source of sound guidance.
Thinking this is much more likely to come to fruition if we partner with an experienced publisher, I've approached one, who responded with great interest. He's preparing a survey to measure interest and asked me to create a list of suggested departments and content.
What would YOUR ideal swim publication include that you're not finding in any you may be currently familiar with?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-04-2014

Janos

Sounds like a refreshing new approach. I once subscribed to H2Open magazine, and found little in it that really engaged me. Reading about obscure open water swims in Peru or Chile has little relevance to most people.
Also, the input from SS in that mag and the triathlon mag I subscribe to becomes a little tiresome. Taglines like...swim 5% faster in 3mths...is typically followed by the advice to stroke faster. Doh!
If it is an online then perhaps subscribers could offer their own short videos of favourite outdoor swims. Or perhaps offer tips that have given them breakthroughs in technique or performance. Also, a small ads service that would allow swimmers to pass or sell on equipment they no longer use. Wetsuits, bikes and books etc.
A regular contribution from aspirational TI swimmers so we can read about their progress and how they overcome frustrations and plateaus. Would probably need some serious editing going by some of the posts on the forum, but could be interesting!
A regular contribution from a TI coach on a particular area they are focused on, and their progress in improving.
Also, perhaps some interviews with some of the more interesting and innovative swim coaches, that have relevance for TI swimmers. Maybe even a regular page from the archives from esteemed former coaches or swimmers.
A page on dryland exercises to improve flexibility and performance would also be relevant for me.
Good luck with whatever format you use. Would be great to have one source of information instead of various blogs, froums etc.
Old 12-05-2014
Head Coach

Thank you, Janos. You and I are very much in synch. Here are some further thoughts on this topic. If you could design a swim magazine which *reflected your values and priorities and answered the questions you find most interesting or pertinent to your goals,* what would be in it?
Existing swimming publications offers much for 12-20 y.o. swimmers with bottom line speed goals, and very little for adults who swim as much to enjoy life and age healthfully, as to improve endurance and speed. What regular departments or columns, and what article topics would you like to see?

My TI Story
Old 12-05-2014

Janos

I see what you are trying achieve here. Perhaps a 'TI Lifestyle' publication that encompasses our swim technique and principles, but also their application in other sports and life in general?
I really appreciate the opening of doors to new reading and philosophies that being part of the forum has bought me, so perhaps recommended books or reviews could be included too?
Also, articles on the application of kaizen, martial arts training theories applied to swimming and articles on nutrition and yoga would be interesting from a swimmers perspective. The philosophical side of TI, the 'swimming that changes your life' feeling could feature as a contribution from swimmers who have experienced life changing or affirming experiences through TI swimming. Not to mention articles on mastery and mindfulness!
Was not sure about the Chi running tie in, would of liked to of seen collaboration with somebody like 'Science of Running', where fundamental technique is discussed and analysed in much the same way TI is. Whereby, the technique used by professionals becomes accessible to those prepared to look for it, and then work at it.
Old 12-06-2014

WFEGb

Hello Terry,

hard to tell what expectations of a TI-journal I'd have. It should fill a gap between Academy, Forums and far too rare privat lessons. I think TI is well positioned in the first two and if private lessons or workshops possible very good too. So some naive thoughts:

- TI-like varied practice plans for a special technical or endurance goal or ideas for a longer time. 5-10 weeks, grouped in how often and/or how long we can swim. (Three times for 45min up to seven times 2:30hs per week.) And these structured as Suzanne's Fast Forward, which was exciting and interesting for me, and I'll run a second round next year and there are still higher groups in view. (Like: Five weeks improving recovery/2BK/head-spine-/spine-leg alignment, eight weeks to develop meaningful gears to a special SPL...., how Long should I plan a training for a marathon swim with my reduced training opportunities and how a plan has to look like?... Maybe aged grouped: How should my training look like when strivíng from 10min/400m to 20min/1000m or even to 30min/1500m? )

- In other read journals I do like aesthetic pictures or funny ones / cartoons.

- What to avoid at all costs in TI and how to get aware of if it happens, how to take it to the right rails?

- How to deal with tiny stroke variations by myself and how to decide as fast as possible where's the best. For example: Focus on the lowering hips or focus on upscale hips does feel very differently for me. That's just an insight feeling. How to decide where the focus is best... if not in an other point.

- Where are in special drills and/or measurements the (I'll call it) haschu33-limits: from scientific to measurable to viewable to feelable to metaphor to transcendence to esoteric?

- TI and scientific evidence. (Sources and understandable eplanations?) Are there any points where Terry or (master)coaches say: That's a scientific evident, but we decide to teach against (or not in accordance),.... and why we do it?

- Wished it should be a TI-journal for swimming. The changing in life will happen inavitably.

Honestly I'm not so sure if all this and similar will not have a satisfactory place in Academy or forums.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 12-08-2014

Talvi

I'm not convinced about the virtualization of a paper magazine. If I'm going to read something long I prefer it in my hands, not backlit, and not reliant on battery or mains power. I have no idea how widespread this feeling is but the overall format, length of articles and the way it links to other resources: this forum, the Academy etc needs to be well though through in my opinion. Using a platform such as Drupal would be something to consider.

I think there is a great need to locate coaches, geographically, in terms of approach, background, as well as in terms of availability and offers. So I'd like to see this as a lot more than an electronic small ads section. It would have reviews etc that then could then link in to the coaches' own sites. Location maps (Google provides all the goodies to do this) could link to accommodation, transportation etc. Searching on a map is far easier than searching town by town etc.

Personally I enjoy (occasionally) reading about open water exploits, as well as elite swimming. The joy of an electronic medium is that if there's nothing new to add to a section for a month or so then fine. The whole can respond organically to supply as well as to demend (unlike a paper based medium).

There are already many TI swimming blogs so summaries of these and links would be more useful imo, but that goes back to the first para and the time factor.

I really like the perspective Werner suggests too, of introducing clarity between analogy and fact. Both have value. Mixing the two up less so and it can be frustrating for the coachless trying to separate the two sometimes.

This is all probably way off the input that you're looking for but to continue with it, in general I'd like to see the advertisement/product placement aspect be simply a consequence of interest rather than offered because of an assumed interest. A bit of a radical approach but one that I think fits better with the TI ethos generally.

FWIW

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 12-09-2014

andyinnorway

I think a journal would be a nice vehicle for presenting things that need a few more words than a blog or forum can offer.

For example - the subject of how to evaluate and increase your attention to detail would be something i'd happily read a book chapter or journal passage on.

A certain swim session can be mindfully executed but to measure and compare performance from one session to the next someone with acute attention to detail would measure more than the lap numbers.

time of day
which lane they swam in (wall or not wall)
pool temperature
food consumed in the last 24 hours
previous week's exercise
Old 12-18-2014
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
For example - the subject of how to evaluate and increase your attention to detail would be something i'd happily read a book chapter or journal passage on.
Exactly. This is precisely the sort of topic you'd be highly unlikely to find in any existing swim periodical, but which I see enormous potential for in the one I envision.
Possibly in an article devoted to it.
Alteratively--additionall--in a review or summary of a book such as Ellen Langer's The Power of Mindful Learning
http://www.ellenlanger.com/books/2/t...ndful-learning

My TI Story
Old 12-18-2014

Ron Bear

I think you could write a regular and interesting article on applying concepts and experiments from science to practical swimming.
Examples:
One: I have a long boring article about towing people through the water with an arm extended or not. It tells the reduction in drag when the arm is extended. This reduction in drag is what TI strives for (and achieves) by "lengthen your vessel” and was predicted and quantified by Froude.
Two: I have a long boring article about how a vertical forearm offers the best purchase on the water. Wide tracks and rolling like a log both help a swimmer achieve early vertical forearm.
Three: Everyone knows that if you swim after eating you will get cramps. Science tells us why and under what circumstance you will cramp after eating. Combining the science with swim specifics lets one make an informed choice about eating before swimming.

Not an idea for a whole magazine, but maybe an idea for a regular feature that suggests a method to continue to populate that feature.

Ron
Old 12-19-2014

Polish TI fan

Terry,

A magazine particularly focused on TI lifestyle would be a hugely welcomed thing!

What topics come to my mind:

1. Not really being into the depth of sport oriented knowledge about how human body works, I'd like to be learnt what excersize one can do to improve fitness and endurance (walking, joging, pushups, dryland breathing etc.), in what intensity etc., I mean, through TI to overall body/mind health and strength. All retaled to age, as you say.

2. I'd like to be taught what to eat and when, before and after drill sessions, ordinary swimming sessions, or any swimming competitions/events/activities. How food affects your phisical disposition.

3. TI drills for each style with description and photograps.

4. Reports from TI camps/workshops.

5. Common swimming injuries and how to avoid/cure them, particularly when you are getting older.

5. a "have your say" or "my story" columns, where anyone (even me ;)) could write in and share his/her story.

Cheers.