Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Coach Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008

Mike from NS
Default Wrist Guards !!!

Terry,

I've heard the same as Brian mentioned - the first few days on the board can be the most painful. I too, threaten to try it each year. And the single most consistently offered caution by snow boarders is: be sure to wear wrist guards. Also the chances of injury for an over 30 years old beginner is about 50%, 40 YO about 60%.... I asked about over 50 and the received (with a laugh) the reply of 100% ! The tendency when falling backwards is to put the arms back of course, and the wrists take the force of the fall. I know of an 18 YO who the first time out broke both of her wrists.

But, otherwise - it looks like fun!

Be careful - be safe.

I hope to get out on my classic XC skis tomorrow - we had 12's last night in N.S.

Mike
Old 11-23-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

I think the best way to land might be on your back, with your arms out to the sides. But, there is natural reaction and no guarantee that you won't fall on something hard or pointy. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2008

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
TI colleagues-
Thanks for reminding me how much I love living in southeast Texas. My major concern is whether or not I should wear my neoprene jammers and shirt or whether I should go for the full wetsuit to swim outside in the frigid cold tomorrow. After all, it is cooling down to the mid 50's!

Skiing? It snowed once here.
Well, I actually like having seasons. I'd get stale doing the same thing year-round. And I like snow, although I keep that a secret from my co-workers. Adults aren't supposed to like snow, they are supposed to grumble and moan about having to shovel it!
The real issue with winter here is not cold, it's darkness. We make up for it in June and July, when the sky starts getting light at about 4:30 a.m. and doesn't get really dark until about 11:00 p.m.. No, we don't get much sleep then, but I would miss those "white nights" if I moved to a southern latitude.
The first time we went to Belize, we thought it would be nice to live there - until we found out it gets dark by 7:00 p.m. in the summer. No thanks!
Old 11-23-2008

splashingpat

Outdoor winter activities really make the cold months move right along... and in my case colds have become very infrequent. All that fresh air must help.
As you say Rhoda - enjoy winter rather than endure it.

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mikey!

I belong to a drum circle that plays drums weather permitting and Ya can dance in the middle...
I was tryin' to get a spot inside a warm gym for the winter...
BUT
now Ya got me thinkin'

Thanks, Pat
Old 11-23-2008

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
And I like snow, although I keep that a secret from my co-workers. Adults aren't supposed to like snow, they are supposed to grumble and moan about having to shovel it!
Rhoda,
The grumblers are the ones that haven't found a "fun" use of the winter or refuse to adapt. I think sometimes the Caribbean or Hawaii is the place to live but I'd likely miss the cold winters. However I'd have to adapt to the warmth!! And warm salt water for swimming would make adapting easy.

Pat;
There is an annual fall show here called DRUM which you might enjoy. It's presentation of cultural differences presented through rhythmic means. Look here for details and video clips:http://www.drumshow.ca/ Uplifting music can help the Winter Blues !
Mike
Old 11-24-2008

splashingpat

But, - it looks like fun! Be careful - be safe.
I hope to get out on my classic XC skis tomorrow - we had 12's last night in N.S.

Mike[/quote]

I learnin' to put the But's in my sentences....
not sure Why...so here goes...

I'm not sure WHY? BUT the drum circle won my heart over....
It's land based...simple...fun...safe

It looks like I may get these guys into the gym!
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

to be continued... however you get thru the winter...
and the holidays.
Pat
Old 02-26-2009

bkjagadish

" There's nothing better for actually being able to enjoy winter instead of just enduring it."[/quote]
...Dear Rhoda , i liked your above statement...in fact it has a tinge of universal philosophy in it ....i for one always believe that in life one should cultivate an attitude of gratitude & of enjoying everything that we come across in life putting the total trust in Him .....
Old 09-18-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Autumn Blues?

I seem to have the autumn blues. Ever since the temperature dropped below 28C I haven't been motivated to swim even though I have an indoor pool to use. I even started taking 2000 IU of vitamin D3 for general health. This is the first time in 1.75 years that I haven't wanted to swim a few times a week. Someone help me!
Old 09-18-2009

Ken B
Default Fly south

Don't mean to gloat but it's spring here. I've got a river estuary which is saltwater for the top 3 hours of most tides. I swim in it all summer through to April. Merle calls it the worlds biggest endless pool. I can swim with the current and feel like an olympic athlete as the world flashes by or I can plug the current for half an hour then drop back to my landing. I'm a purely recreational swimmer so I can roll on my back to talk to a curious gull or watch for flounder or maybe a ray if it's clear enough. I also fish, flounder and sail in it. This winter I took 3 months off to rest a wonky shoulder and since then I have been doing my drills in the pool. I took a thermometer to the river last week, 12 degrees, a bit nippy for me yet I think. You could join me, I'm short of swim buddys. There's always a bed at our place.
Old 09-18-2009

naj
Default S.F. Bay Area Rules!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Don't mean to gloat but it's spring here. I've got a river estuary which is saltwater for the top 3 hours of most tides. I swim in it all summer through to April. Merle calls it the worlds biggest endless pool. I can swim with the current and feel like an olympic athlete as the world flashes by or I can plug the current for half an hour then drop back to my landing. I'm a purely recreational swimmer so I can roll on my back to talk to a curious gull or watch for flounder or maybe a ray if it's clear enough. I also fish, flounder and sail in it. This winter I took 3 months off to rest a wonky shoulder and since then I have been doing my drills in the pool. I took a thermometer to the river last week, 12 degrees, a bit nippy for me yet I think. You could join me, I'm short of swim buddys. There's always a bed at our place.
Sorry to gloat more but living in the Bay Area affords me the time to go on swimming in ow year round :) Granted it is gonna drop to 48 or 49F, but I look at it this way, "Come April when its a whopping 52F it'll feel like beach weather."

My invite for all those who need an ow fix in the winter still stands. Shoot me an email and I'll host you at my house.

Keep Swimming!
Naji